Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Which reader do you prefer to use on your iPad, the nook by Barnes and Noble or the Kindle from Amazon? I am getting ready to purchase a couple of ebooks and they are available in both formats so just wanted to get some opinions from those that have used both.

Thanks.

bthompson

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
I am liking the Kindle app. I just thought I would try ebooks and I prefer iBooks but several of the books I wanted weren't in the store so I have been using the Kindle app.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Of the two, I prefer the Kindle app. I really am not a fan of the Nook app. I go back and forther between the Kindle app and the iBooks app.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I've used Kindle, Nook, and iBooks, and typically default to Nook if the pricing on what I want is the same (it almost always is) as the others. In my opinion, there hasn't been a significant pro or con to any of them that make me shy away from using them.

Other than Nook keeps putting free samples in my library that I've deleted in the past.

But aside from that, the reading experience is similar enough that for me it's all about price and selection. The apps themselves are all free, so I'd try them all for yourself.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
For selection (and usu price), Kindle. Also the fact that it syncs bookmarks between my iPad and iPhone 4 is nice -- I never have to flip pages trying to remember my last spot on the other device.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Do you see a difference in either of the dictionaries ease of use? Do both offer a low light use where the background can be made black and the text in white?

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
My preference for reading books on the iPad is as follows:

First: Kindle App
Second: Nook App
Third: iBooks App

I used to have Stanza on there (or something similar...don't recall which now) but deleted it.

I find the iBooks app to be the worst of the bunch mainly because it doesn't support white text on black pages, which I prefer for low-light reading. Unless you do that reverse video trick but that looks horrid.

iBooks needs some updates IMHO.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I like the Kindle app the best. It has some really nice preset settings, I love that it syncs everything across multiple devices. I liked it so much I ended up getting a Kindle. I love it because the Kindle is small enough to fit in my purse so if I am stuck waiting somewhere I can read on the Kindle for a while and then when I pick up my iPad when I get home later that night, it syncs to the spot that I left off on the actual Kindle and I can continue reading.

I have purchased a few books on bn and iBooks as well but the selection is not nearly as good. Also with the 70% thing going on with Amazon, I am hoping that prices might go down a bit.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Thank you for the responses

Decided to get Kindle. Started reading the first book yesterday and had black background/white text. It was so much better on my eyes. I also love the feature where I can highlight a word while reading and the definition pops up at the bottom of the screen.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I use Kindle mainly but also use Nook, iBooks and Bluefire (for Overdrive books). I also use Goodreader for pdf's. It all depends upon where the book is coming from that I am reading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.