Kindle question.... (Nook observation)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rhett7660, Nov 26, 2011.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hello All..

Ok, I am looking to get the regular kindle for reading books only. I have never seen one in action in person, but I was able to play with the Nook from Barnes and Noble last night.

My question is this, when I was playing with the reading only version of the Nook, when I would go from page to page it would sometimes flicker. I had it on the white background with black text and between some of the page turns the screen would invert the colors. It was very annoying. Like I said it doesn't do it all the time, but it did do it. I went to the settings to see if there was a page refresh setting. I couldn't any such setting.

I don't want the fire or the color nook I am specifically looking at the reading one only.

I was wondering if the kindle does the same thing since they seem to be similar. I can't play with one to find out for myself I am looking to others who have one.

Thanks

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

I have a Kindle 3G (I think these are the "kindle keyboard" now) and it does this.

It drove me insane initially, but honestly I hardly notice anymore after having used it a ton.

Walmart has kindles I think available you can play with, at least my walmart did.

3. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

This I did not know. Thank you, I will check out my local walmarts to see if they have any I can play with.

Ugh, it was driving me insane when I was using the nook.

4. ender land macrumors 6502a

It did that for me too when I first looked at it.

I'd also check ahead to see if your walmart has them - I'm not sure why they were there in the first place tbh (amazon/walmart aren't directly affiliated I don't think).

What I initially decided was that I will change the page or use the UI so infrequently (since it's a reader, not a content creator) it's not as big of a deal if the screen refresh is slow. It's still probably 1/2 second or so anyways.

5. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Does it do it on every page or every so often? I noticed on the nook that it didn't do it on every page which is why I thought it was weird and annoying.

Thanks again for your responses.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It should flicker on every page.

It's just what happens when the eInk reorganises to form words. ;) Remember, the screen isn't actually doing anything while you're reading, so it isn't really using any electricity until you "turn the page".

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

When I first got my Kindle 2 I found the flash to black annoying, but after awhile I didn't notice it anymore.

I believe the Kindle Touch and the Nook Simple Touch will flash every 6 pages or so. However, they both have settings to flash after each page if ghosting gets bad.

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The newer Kindles (and presumably other eInk readers) don't flicker as frequently. Better eInk technology, I guess.

It's normal behaviour. I expect it will eventually go away entirely as eInk improves, though.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You really don't notice it after reading it for a few hours.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The Kindle does it...but you barely notice it once you start using it. It takes a fraction of a second on my Kindle, by the time my eyes make my way back to the top of the screen, it's refreshed.

11. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

This has to happen due to the way e-ink displays work.

However, this may be of interest to you.

The following Kindles "refresh" the screen after one page turn:

Kindle 1, Kindle 2, Kindle 3 (Keyboard), Kindle DX, Kindle DX Graphite

The following Kindles "refresh" after SIX pages turns:

Kindle 4 (new $79 Kindle), Kindle Touch

I just recently went from a Kindle DX Graphite to a Kindle 4, and love the lack of refreshing as frequently.

12. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think it would be more annoying if it happened sometimes than if it happened every time... I love reading on my Kindle Keyboard wifi, but I'm now thinking about selling it to help fund a Kindle Fire purchase. I'd like to have a slightly bigger screen for movies and Internet when traveling. But, the e ink screen is really nice for reading

13. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

That is the one I am looking at getting too. Thank you for the info and thanks to all that answered my question.

Off to the Amazon store!

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Enjoy! FWIW I'll echo that after a few days it stopped bothering me, although it'd be lovely to have the one refresh every six pages like the latest Kindles. I believe the page turns are faster now, too? That's actually a bigger plus, in my mind.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The only problem with refreshing after 6 pages instead of after each page is that it sometimes can lead to pretty bad ghosting. Fortunately, on the Kindle Touch you have the option for either setting.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My kindle does this and as others stated after a while you don't even notice it.