Kindle vs. Barnes & Noble eReader?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by NateEssex, Jul 5, 2010.

1. NateEssex macrumors 6502

I would love to use the iBook app, but it doesn't have some of the titles I want including "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Both Kindle and the B&N eReader have it available.

Is there any advantage to one of the other?

Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Both Kindle and nook allow you to download and read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

3. kepner macrumors 6502

No no. He's referring to the B&N eReader app for iPad (and iPhone).

Try downloading the book as a sample in both and see which one you prefer.

4. superflush macrumors 6502a

ah, yes, I would recommend doing this. I know you can download samples in the Kindle app, probably in the B&N E-R app as well.

5. NateEssex thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I down loaded both and seem to prefer the B&N App. I was asking if anyone has found any reasons, feature-wise, for the Kindle over the B&N App? I read the B&N App let's you share some ebooks with friends...

Thanks

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Kindle and nook are the names of the applications:rolleyes: They are both free. Download each and test each. It is perfectly OK to use both.

7. gibbz macrumors 68030

Nook is the name of their physical reading device. The iPad app is called "BN eReader for iPad"

As to which is better, I like Kindle. I went with it just because I already owned a Kindle and had access to a ton of books. It is probably 6 in one hand, half-a-dozen in the other.

8. superflush macrumors 6502a

does B&N have an app across several platforms?
    I know that Kindle has an app on Mac, PC, Android, etc.

9. Brammy macrumors 65816

From what I've been told, the lending feature is set (or denied) by the publisher and can only let you lend the book once.

Amazon's selection is better, too. Not by much, but it's better.

10. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I chose Amazon's app because of the lack of support from B&N for their Mac desktop software.

11. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

B&N's app has the annoying feature of filling your bookshelf with unwanted sample books that you cannot delete. It also reshuffles the bookshelf every time, so it is hard to find the book you are seeking.

12. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

I like the line spacing and the default font for Barnes & Noble far better than Kindle. Barnes & Noble comes with built-in dictionary, but it's got only 70k words (webster pocket dictionary). I'm really torned between the two, as I don't want to split my book investment into two different readers...

13. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

After playing with iBook, Kindle, and BN eReader, another finding is that for the classic books which are free for all three, I actually prefer BN store's 1.99 & 2.99 version over free ones.

Yes, I pay money for it, but at least it's not badly formated (iBook) or no table of contents (Kindle).

Then, I use Kindle for my main reading purpose, as I'm happy with their book selections outside of classic books. Once they release the update with 250k dictionary, I'll be happier with Kindle.

14. Spankey macrumors 6502a

Not anymore! ;)

15. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

You can delete those sample books from your online account and when your iPad syncs, they will disappear.

16. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The new nook app has replaced the BN eReader which is a good thing. The Kindle App was much clearer and easier to read for me. I have over 50 Kindle books and prefer it since it is much easier having it tied to many devices for me (w/o having to tie the other devices to my itunes account)

Cheers,