Kindle Vs. Nook

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bc008, Jan 19, 2010.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

I searched, but didnt really find a direct comparison thread. I am in the market for an ebook reader to lighten up my backpack and for my upcoming trip overseas. I am trying to decide between the kindle and the nook.

They both seem to have the same amount of titles available. I dont have 3G where I live, so does either have wifi? I think the kindle doesn't and the nook does but Idr for sure. Also, people say that the nook is a lot worse in terms of battery life/thickness/speed etc. so the kindle seems to be the obvious choice, but I still cant decide.

How easy is it to get books for these? can you get torrented (out of copyright books only! ;)) books for them easily or are they in some strange format that is hard to find?

Thanks again! :D

2. I3eXa macrumors 6502

seriously????:rolleyes:

**************************!

If you hadn't noticed that link isn't supposed to work, but go to google and type in 'kindle vs nook' and it brings up tons of comparison reviews...

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The link isn't supposed to work because it's a smartass remark. :rolleyes:

OP I don't know about torrents, if you're willing to buy books why not buy the ebook? Either way, at this point I'd say the Kindle is a bit more polished since it's been around a while. The Nook is so new I'm not sure anyone can really speak to it without bias.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think much of it may be personal preferences like anything else
    Both probably have their pros and cons

I would recommend going somewhere you can physically check them both out and see which suits you the best

Personally, I am hoping the announcements on the 27th by Apple will make it a non-issue and I will get the Apple product

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

I have read plenty of reviews, but I think that the people of macrumors would probably have a strong opinion on something like this so I thought I should get their input before making sucha big purchase.

Yea, this is what all signs are pointing towards. I just wish there was a place I could try it (kindle) in person.

yea, im definitely waiting haha :p

6. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I personally think the Nook looks nicer than the Kindle. They function pretty much the same besides that. The touch screen on the Nook isn't amazing, but I guess it's another feature over the Kindle. But honestly, I'd wait for the next revisions (unless Apple comes out with something)

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This tech is advancing at such a fast pace that I'm not going to touch it for another 2 years, or whenever he market settles betweek colour e-ink or that LCD that can become somehing similar to eInk (if it's even any good). I don't think of such a purchase as something I should need to upgrade every few years.

Apple won't come up with anything like this tech, which is just around the corner, but if they do, then I guess they get my money. :eek:

8. Surely Guest

Surely

9. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I would suggest Kindle, but for portablility, I would suggest the Kindle. The DX is more for newspaper reading. I have the Kindle and I highly recommend it to you. :)

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

For about 6 months I've been saying Christmas 2010, see where things are then.

I'm giving up - I've barely read a physical book in the last year and there's no point reading on my iPhone when I could have a dedicated device. New deadline's April (my birthday) but I'm not even sure if I'll make that.

I've chosen the most basic Sony device instead of a Kindle or Nook (can't even remember release dates or plans for the Nook in the UK). I'm not interested in keyboards or wireless access and Sony's the only really recognisable brand I've found in the ebook world.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm curious to know what other forum members think between the two. My knee jerk reaction is to lean towards amazon's kindle because I generally buy my books from amazon.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Honestly bc008 I think your best bet is to perhaps find someone on Craigslist who is selling theirs and ask them if you can perhaps give them a couple of bucks to try it because you're not interested in buying used. It may work out. I get that you want to try it, I too want to try one but I'm not willing to buy it and then be stuck with it. I think Amazon would take it back and not charge a restocking fee. I may be wrong.

Either way, I think the Kindle is more developed and has a wider selection of books. I believe the Nook is isolated to whatever B&N has, which is a vast quantity of books and periodicals. What you may need to do is research what is at B&N that you enjoy and see if it's on Amazon and vice versa.

Or you buy one, try it, return it and buy the other. Settle on one and see what happens.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just got a Kindle for my birthday. It is a great device. I saw a Nook yesterday for the first time. It was pretty nice. Not really sure which one I like best, because I haven't really had enough time with either especially the Nook.

If you want to see a Kindle in person, Amazon has a page that lists owners by state that would be willing to show you their Kindle.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...f_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=74671162&pf_rd_i=133141011

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why wouldn't you wait to see if the Apple iPad/iSlate/Tablet will compete in this space?

15. Foreign Feeling macrumors member

i heard the nook takes a bit longer to load up than the kindle, can't say this for sure but just a heads up. My dad like's his kindle alot, he uses it every day and he says he loves the battery life it has.

16. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I bought my wife's Kindle while thinking about Apple's upcoming device, and came to the conclusion that it's highly unlikely it'll use any sort of e-ink technology.

Even if I'm wrong, it's not like eBook readers are hugely expensive. My wife loves her Kindle, and has read a half dozen books on the thing since Christmas. Regardless of what happens to eBook readers down the line, I think it was a good buy.