Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j.leson

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
I converted a few epub books to mobi to read on my kindle. I was wondering if there is any way I can sync ebooks books I did not purchase through the kindle store, with the kindle app on my ipad?

i.e. is there a way to upload mobi format books to amazon cloud, and have it sync between my ipad and kindle.

Thanks!

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
If you mean putting non-store bought books on the iPad, yes, via iTunes.

If you mean sync furthest position on non-store bought books between devices, no*.

*there is a way to do this with Calibre, but it's fiddly and requires the book to exist in the Amazon store

ScottW1

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
NW Washington, USA
Amazon Personal Documents Service

i.e. is there a way to upload mobi format books to amazon cloud, and have it sync between my ipad and kindle.

Yes. Amazon provides a "personal document service" for just that. They give you a unique "amazon.com" email address, and you can send emails there with documents attached. Amazon converts the attachments and they become part of your "Kindle Library", so you can then download/read them on your Kindle (or Kindle app on ipad/iphone).

Supported file types are:
•Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX)
•HTML (.HTML, .HTM)
•RTF (.RTF)
•JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)
•Kindle Format (.MOBI, .AZW)
•GIF (.GIF)
•PNG (.PNG)
•BMP (.BMP)
•PDF (.PDF)​

More information here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_pdoc_main_short_us?nodeId=200767340

j.leson

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
Yes. Amazon provides a "personal document service" for just that. They give you a unique "amazon.com" email address, and you can send emails there with documents attached. Amazon converts the attachments and they become part of your "Kindle Library", so you can then download/read them on your Kindle (or Kindle app on ipad/iphone).

Supported file types are:
•Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX)
•HTML (.HTML, .HTM)
•RTF (.RTF)
•JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)
•Kindle Format (.MOBI, .AZW)
•GIF (.GIF)
•PNG (.PNG)
•BMP (.BMP)
•PDF (.PDF)​

More information here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_pdoc_main_short_us?nodeId=200767340

Perfect! Thank you, thank you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.