Kindle Worldwide

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lexus, Aug 15, 2008.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Does anyone know whether the Kindle will be released worldwide. The current one uses CDMA to download content so does not work anywhere other than in the US. I would like to know whether Amazon are planning to release a GSM version.

Thanks alot

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Anyone know how precise this is?

Does anyone have any information regarding this?

4. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Unfortunately I do not have any additional information regarding this, but I am really interested in getting a kindle.

5. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Does anyone one who lives outside North America use Kindle? I am very interested in Kindle because I can store and read books with this one machine. Everything I relocate, I ended up throwing books away as they are too heavy for carrying to my next place.

My next move will be outside the USA; so, I can buy the Kindle here and buy some book titles now. But, eventually, I want to buy new titles as they come to the market.

I know I can buy titles for Kindle as long as I purchase it via my US billing address (which I think I can, as I can just keep my checking account open and opt for the paperless service). But, it is always good to have another option to buy titles.

6. cbs31572 macrumors newbie

cbs31572

Kindle Worldwide - Launch Sept. 13

I have a friend that is pretty high up at Amazon.com and they told me that Kindle Worldwide launches on Sept. 13, 2009. They are already gearing up all the Customer Service folks for the launch by adding a large number of employees, so this will be the current projected launch date. I used to work at Amazon.com, so these dates are subject to change.

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Kindle International Edition

If you have a Kindle International version and are living in a country other than the USA, please comment on the following:

1. how is the selection of books for your Kindle International? Amazon USA site says not all titles are available for the international markets.
    2. is the pricing of a title the same when you download it outside the USA?
    3. can you pretend you are residing in the USA even though you are outside the USA so that you can have the full selection of books available in the USA market?

I could not find answers to those questions even though I contacted Amazon USA for information (I only received a canned reply without specific information I asked).

8. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

I want a Kindle. My wife wants a Kindle. Everybody I know wants a Kindle. We CANNOT get them in Canada!! I'm pissed as hell. Is it the Feds that are holding things up or the publishing companies? I can't get a straight answer from anyone either. I'm actually starting to look at the Sony version, although the titles don't seem to be as numerous. Nor as user friendly....

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It might also honestly be negotiating a deal with a wireless carrier, considering how much trouble Apple had getting what they wanted... Hopefully you'll get it soon. It's great.