Kindly school me on data plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bryan72D, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Bryan72D macrumors newbie

I'm attempting to order my wife one of the refurb iPhones on AT&T. We're already customers, but we don't have a data plan. That's where the local rep seems to lose any ability to help. According to them, I have to totally cancel our current plan, get a new plan, and add a data plan. I have no real issues with that, but the cheapest data plan the guy says I can get is $50/month. I've heard of other getting a data plan for $20/month. I asked what the $20/month plan gets me and they claim to no offer it. ??? This would be for one iPhone, no data necessary on mine.

I'd be on this right now if all it were was an extra $20/ month, but at $50 it's getting kind of steep. Especially considering I'm waiting for the 16gig, 3G versions to hit the refurb bin... Yes, I can wait, barely. Maybe not.

Am I asking the AT&T guy the wrong question? It seems there has to be more than one $50/month/iPhone option. This was an actual AT&T store, not a kiosk in the mall.

Thanks,

Bryan

2. RJ17 macrumors regular

The iphone data plan just adds $20/month to your current plan.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yup, only $20 per month.

The At&t Rep probably didn't even graduate from High School.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The iPhone activation will have you purchase the $20 Unlimited Data iPhone Plan. The $50 plan is for other phones, and the Kiosk guys don't sell iPhones, so they only know the other plans. The way they do the iPhone plan is to add the $20 (prorated for the first month) and either leave it at that level (if cheaper than a similar iPhone Plan, or convert you to an iPhone Plan (if cheaper than your current plan). If you are on a family plan, the cheapest iPhone family plan will be chosen, which I think is $79, or $20 will just be added to the existing family plan.

TEG

5. Bryan72D thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet. I'm going to order one right now...... Maybe the guy I talked to just graduated from a kiosk??? Oh well. Luckily I can do everything online once the phone arrives.

Thanks everyone.

Bryan