Kindof a stupid question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by /user/me, Aug 8, 2011.

1. /user/me macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I had a bit of a question about my new computer. Should I get the top end 13 inch, or wait a couple weeks and spring for the 15 inch? Just looking for some feedback. :)

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Do you value portability or screen real estate?

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

A question that is impossible to answer without you providing more information about your normal computer usage.

What do you intend to do with the machine, and how long do you want to keep it?

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

I'd personally recommend a 15" - larger screen being the primary reason. The 13" MBP is light, but...you're eyes will appreciate the slightly larger screen.

5. /user/me thread starter macrumors 6502

I want a little bit of both, because I am a student, so portability is probably my main focus

I'm going to be using it for some light coding, some gaming, and normal student activities, word processing, presentations. that kind of thing

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Please elaborate, what games will you be wanting to run? This could tip the balance one way or another. The rest of your activities could be done on a netbook without you needing more power.

7. /user/me thread starter macrumors 6502

the total war series, bioshock infinite when it comes out, and civ 5

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

According to the recommended specs I just read about on the games' websites, you could probably get by with the 13", but would benefit greatly from stepping up to the high-end 15" with the 6750M.

9. /user/me thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much.

J

10. mystik610 macrumors regular

Strategy games like Total War and Civ V are also heavily processor dependent. The 2.2 ghz quad-core processor in the high-end 15" inch will go a long way.

I play quite a bit of Civ V on my MBP and late in the game, there is a noticeable amount of delay between turns. Nothing terrible, but not instantaneous either. Same goes for my gaming rig at home.

I'd imagine this would be much worse on the 13" MBP.

11. YEEZY macrumors member

If you don't mind carrying around the 15 (try it out at the Apple Store), then go for that. The only reason I didn't get the 15" was because it seemed to heavy for everyday use in college.

12. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Get the 15"

You're not going for a MacBook Air here, so those 2 inches really don't change much. (I have a 13" Pro and 15" in my house so I can attest to things being pretty much the same on both)

But the 15" will be way more powerful, and games will be way better for you. It's a beast.

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Get a hi-res 15". AG or glossy is a personal preference.

I have glossy because I prefer the 'all-in-one' screen design and black border :D