Kinetic Case for iPhone 4 Review & Tons of Pics

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Austin M., Feb 20, 2011.

1. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

[​IMG]

Kinetic Case is a brand new company that specializes in creating aluminum iPhone 4 cases. The Kinetic Case for the iPhone 4 features a bumper like design, an anodized surface, a rounded feel, and an acrylic or carbon fiber black plate. Can the Kinetic Case prove to be better than the other Aluminum iPhone 4 cases? Read on for the full review of the Kinetic Case to find out.

Before I begin, let me clarify a few things. First off, a lot of people have been asking me if this is a 3G/3GS case. It's not a 3G/3GS case, although it does feature rounded corners and a comfortable feel and looks a lot like an iPhone 3G/3GS case. Another thing is that this is a two part bumper case that has a bonus back plate, not a built in back plate.

[​IMG]

First and foremost is installation, which took a long time, but was a fairly easy as far as difficulty goes. To install the case on your iPhone 4, You take the top half of the Kinetic Case and line it up with the volume buttons and the sleep/wake button, then (while holding the top half) you insert the bottom half until they are both lined up properly. After that, you install two screws on the top right and bottom left to connect the case together. I advise you to take your time because if you mess up and your screws are stuck, you may be trapped with the case permanently attached to your phone.

[​IMG]

Let's take a quick glance around the perimeter of the Kinetic Case. At the top of the case you have two deep cutouts for the audio jack and the sleep/wake button. Even though the sleep/wake button was easy to access, I found that the Audio Jack is rather deep and you may have some problems when it comes to using larger size cables. On the side of the case you have one single cutout for the volume rockers and the silent switch. The silent switch was easy to access and I had no problems when it came to registering my sound up and down. Going to the bottom of the case you have one large cutout for the speaker, the mic, and the dock connector. Even though the dock connector is rather deep, you shouldn't have any problem when it comes to medium sized cable connectors, although larger size cables may be more of an issue.

The Kinetic Case also features a very nice lay on the table design so that if you were to lay your phone (front or back) down, you will not need to worry about dust or lint getting onto the screen and potentially scratching the LCD.

As far as aluminum cases go, the Kinetic Case is definitely one of the more unique and different looking cases on the market. The rounded design very much reminds me of the iPhone 3GS and it is incredibly comfortable to hold in the hand. Unlike the iPhone 4's squared design, the Kinetic Case's design helps when it comes to playing games, writing emails, or doing anything on your iPhone.

Another cool thing about the Kinetic Case are the crevices that are used as the cutouts for the buttons, these add a sense of style and also prove to be very easy to use and access. A lot of things that I notice in Aluminum cases are the points where the case meets. Kinetic Case has provided a simple design that blends in with the style and features simple screw placements (but very cool looking) that are not overkill, unlike some other metal cases that I have tested out.

[​IMG]

As an added addition, Kinetic Case provides a plastic back panel that adds good amount of protection and takes a different route than the everyday bumper style case. You also have the option of choosing a genuine carbon fiber back plate that no doubt looks very cool with the black version of this case.

Now, after reading this, you have probably been wondering about the reception and how the signal is affected. I live in an area where I usually get about 2-3 bars. Thankfully, I still get my full 2-3 bars of signal strength with the signal occasionally dropping to 1 bar (unfortunately, this doesn't happen with the case off, so it will degrade your signal ever so slightly). Also, In case you where wondering why my signal has not been affected by much, the Kinetic Case features an inner design that has plastic wrapped around the inside so that you do not experience any reception issues, the Kinetic Case also does not come fully in contact with the sides of the iPhone 4 since they are raised off the edge about a millimeter or so.

[​IMG]

Now, there a few things that I must point our before you decide to go out and purchase this.

Not everyone will enjoy the Kinetic Case's design, while I absolutely loved it, the rounded edges and corners will not exactly fit everyone's taste as some people do enjoy the iPhone 4's frame a lot more than the iPhone 3G/3GS's frame.

Another thing that I must inform about is the fact that this can feel like quite a bulky case. The minute you put the Kinetic Case on your phone, you will definitely feel the different in size (weight is about the same though) around the edge. The sides are increased to a substantially larger size and for people who like to rock their iPhone naked or close to naked, this is not the case for you.

I also think that Kinetic Case should embed a small company logo on the side of the Kinetic Case so that people know who actually made it. Without that, it just looks like a plain old case!

In my opinion, I think that the Kinetic Case is one of the best aluminum cases available for the iPhone 4. Even though the design is not for everyone, I absolutely loved it, unfortunately, some of the errors too be seen may concern people, but a good sense of style, comfortable feel, and a nice use of design mechanics make the Kinetic Case one of the best quality cases available for the iPhone 4.

You can purchase the Kinetic case for the iPhone 4 in a few different colors and comes with an acrylic back plate or a genuine carbon fiber back plate for an extra $10. It comes with two sets of screen protectors, six hex screws, one hex wrench, the case itself, an acrylic or carbon fiber back plate, and a microfiber cleaning cloth. The Kinetic Case is currently available for $65 and you can pick it up over at Kinetic Case's website.

Rating: 4/5

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Nice review and pics! Thanks for taking the time to show us this case.

3. Austin M. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Thanks!

4. Sappy macrumors newbie

Kinetic Case

Hey there, I have been looking for this case recently and found out that the company is no longer in business. I have looked on Amazon and Ebay for the Kinetic case but to no avail. Does anyone know how I can go about contacting the owner of the company or does anyone know where I might be able to find one new or gently used? Any information that you can give me is a great help. Thanks,