Kingston Hyper-x 120gb SSD in 15" early 2011 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paul117, Apr 30, 2012.

1. paul117 macrumors regular

hey guys,

i have a macbook pro with a 120gb kingston hyperx sata 3 ssd in it and afew days ago i updated the firmware on it, since then my laptop has had nothing but issues, first it was lagging under mountain lion DP3 figureing it was the SSD i transfered my install over to the original hdd and the problem was still there.... within afew hours it had gotten worse, i was watching a video with my apple earbuds in and it was working fine (except i had no control over screen brightness keyboard lights and sound through the keyboard) when i finished the video i unplugged the ear buds but i had no sound, the little red light was on inside the audio port so i plugged my earbuds in and unplugged them again and nothing happend... thinking this was the OS playing up i reinstalled snow leopard fresh onto my SSD, audio worked fine and the os seemed to run fine but i didnt leave snow leopard on it long enough to properly test it, i upgraded directly to Mountain lion DP3 and restored my data through migration assistent, suddenly sound stopped working and the SSD was lagging again, so i wiped the SSD completly and installed Lion through internet recovery, after the install of lion i found i still had no audio... this time the light inside the audio port was off in sound settings it said for output it was digital optical out, through migration assistent i also restored my user account and i was still having the lagging issue so i installed a seagate momentus XT into it as it was my only other spare and the install went fine everything was fast (i restored no data on it) but i had no sound, i figured that the lagging was caused by my user profile so on the SSD i reinstalled snow leopard fresh again and ths time i got sound working through an external speaker... when i unplugged it sound was perfect through the internal speakers, so i reinstalled lion again and sound was working great... instead of restoring my data through migration assistent i simply copied what i needed off my backup, everything was running great but then it started to slow down and lag again, so i transfered my setup using disk utility over to the Momentus XT and i have been running on it since without an issue, no lag no sound problems just perfect, i thought the ssd was the issue but when i put it into my pc and installed windows 7 fresh on it, it was running fast very fast i had never seen it go so fast before which has confused me.

so i am wandering... could the issue be caused by my laptop or the SSD?

P.S very sorry for any bad spelling or grammar.

2. ken94538 macrumors member

Apple did this intentionally, so people have to pay Apple tax. Buy Apple SSD and you will have no problem.

3. paul117 thread starter macrumors regular

if this is the case then y am i only experenceing problems now? ive had this SSD running my laptop since September last year.

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Don't believe a word from him. I guess your local Fry manager told you this?

5. paul117 thread starter macrumors regular

so does anyone have any ideas reguarding this issue?