Kingston Hyperx Predator pcie ssd bootable in Mac Pro 3,1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by isisism, Aug 2, 2016.

1. isisism, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016

isisism macrumors newbie

I want to pull the trigger on this but need to be certain it will be bootable in my Early 2008 MP 3,1. Can anyone tell me?

Also, if bootable, is there anything I need to do to set the Mac to boot from the pcie ssd? I will be doing a fresh install of a later OS.

Additionally, I'm upgrading my GPU and they are so thick I want to know that I'll be able to fit the SSD, the new GPU, most likely an R9 280x and a USB 3.0 card in my slots. Will that all fit in the appropriate slots?

Thanks!

2. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I don't know about that drive specifically, however, in general booting is supported by PCIe SSDs.

Nothing special to do in terms of installation. What I would do if I were you is to boot off you current drive, download the OS installer, run it, pointing it to this drive, then you can remove or reformat the other drive once it's all done. Lots easier than trying to make some kind of bootable media.

In terms of fit, this will be relatively thin and shouldn't be a problem. Most GPUs will take a full two slots. You have 4 slots so if you put the GPU in the first 2, this in the 3rd and the USB 3 card in the 4th, they should fit just fine. Short cards usually don't interfere with GPU fans.

3. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

I just installed a Apiricorn Velocity 1 in my 09 mac pro with a 240 gig SSD works great so far

4. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

6. William_si macrumors regular

William_si

This works fine, it is a standard AHCI PCIe x4 2.0 SSD, a generation before SM951 in a way.

7. Dan DC macrumors newbie

I just received one of these for my mp 3,1 and it wasn't recognised either in System Report, or Disk Utility. Did an online chat with tech support at Kingston and they said it wasn't compatible. Has anyone had any success with it?

8. Zanr Zij macrumors newbie

People usually go with Ocw card. I'm using a Marvel 88SE9230 card and native support by many MacOS version.

My card has 1x mSATA + 3x SATA3. System report say the link speed = 5Gbps = quite good enough.

My MP 3.1 now has USB 3.0 ( FL1100 ), SATA3 ( Marvel 9230 ).

But now I have small problem: ssd show as external drive so I can not install Windows by Boot Campt. I'm trying to solve it. I'm newbie here so it take time for me :)

9. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

This thread is about PCIe SSD, not a SATA SSD installed on/via a PCIe card. They are very different.

For PCIe SSD, the PCIe card is just a simple adaptor, nothing more, no controller on it. Therefore, technically, cannot be "unsupported".

The card you've mentioned is for SATA SSD, can't even install the PCIe SSD blade on it. The HyperX Predator's max performance is about 300% of your SSD setup.