Kingston RAM. Apple specific or ValueRam?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rainydays, Aug 13, 2007.

1. rainydays macrumors 6502a

I've tried finding an answer to this question but to no avail.
    I wanted to buy crucial RAM for my new iMac but their european shop are out of stock on the 2GB sticks. So the only other option I trust is Kingston.

Is there actually any difference between KTA-MB667xxx and KVR667D2S5? The first one is "Apple specific" RAM and the second one is ValueRam. They both have the same specs, but the ValueRam is cheaper and easier to get around here.

Just seems to me that they charge more money because it's specified to fit into the MacBook Pro. Am I right? Will the ValueRam be just as good?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The ValueRAM is subject to having its build (the chipset on it, the PC board) changed at any time.

It is a good piece of generic RAM that is built to a specification. But if you call Kingston and say "It doesn't work in my Mac" they will say that they only officially support the KTA- series.

3. rainydays thread starter macrumors 6502a

Might be that I haven't slept for 36 hours, but I didn't quite get the first sentence.

Is it the same RAM, just that it's not officially supported for Macs?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, the ValueRAM can be a different design from the KTA-, and it can change from month to month.

Anndd.... it might work fine. Just Kingston won't guarantee that it will. Some people will say that any generic RAM will work in the intel Macs. We're hearing scattered reports of incompatibility but there's not enough data to come down on one side or the other of the question.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The ValueRAM line really isn't reliable.

There are other brands out there that are. Try OtherWorld Computing.

6. lalutte macrumors newbie

Question for CanadaRam:

Do you work for or own www.canadaram.com?

or,

Is the name a coincidence?

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Not a coincidence.

But I don't link to my site from MR 'coz it is against the rules. Any commercial inquiries need to be taken off-forum to PM or email.

8. pmartin macrumors regular

Lots of brands are good. I particularly like Corsair RAM personally, just make sure you know the specification you need. You should shop around to see what suits you the best.

9. Tivoli macrumors member

Just wait

If you want Crucial why not wait. It will not take very long before they have new supplies. Until then your Mac will run just fine.
    Take a deep breath and forget the "I want it now" thought :cool: