Kingston Ram OK?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fomaphone, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Fomaphone macrumors regular

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

No clue on the rank problem. But I wouldn't assume that one doesn't have a temperature sensor.

AFAIK, the main difference is that the triple-channel kit is manufactured in the USA and singular DIMMs in China. Other then that, they should be identical in performance. If you have more qualms, try looking up the particular product on Kingston's site.

3. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I recommend crucial.com

Excellent quality. Good prices.

4. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Also good warranty and you know that RAM will work in your system.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Kingston ValuRAM is c.r.a.p. and not guaranteed to work in a Mac - 50/50 chance it will. The Kingston RAM specifically tested for Mac is OK but usually overpriced.

Crucial is solid and what I always use. Newegg often has better prices that buying direct from Crucial.com. I always by the regular "PC" version. The Mac version is no better quality but often a Mac Tax premium added in.

6. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Both my iMac and my wife's Macbook are running Kingston ValueRAM (2GB DDR2-667 sticks). 3 sticks and all were A-OK from the beginning. I've had very good luck in the past with Kingson, Corsair, and Crucial - and mostly good luck with PNY. I definitely recommend the first three.

BTW, and RAM of the right spec should be Mac compatible. But as we all know, YMMV. This is NOT Apple's fault - its cheap-arse memory makers' faults. :(

7. Fomaphone thread starter macrumors regular

i ended up buying the 12gb kit, with free shipping and free rush processing thanks to a $10 coupon that newegg e-mailed me.

Final price for the RAM: $32.25/GB, compared to $38.33/GB for the same kit (from a different manufacturer, but with a similar warranty) from OWC

8. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Bought RAM twice at crucial. No problem, quick shipping, good packaging.