Kingston Ram upgrade shorted battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yoni277, Mar 13, 2013.

1. yoni277 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just upgraded my macbook pro 13" early 2011 from 4G ram to 16G ram (2 X Kingston 8G slots)
    After the upgrade I noticed that the battery is getting empty in much higher rate than before the upgrade.

Did anyone have the same problem?

2. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Mid 2012 cMBP here; upgraded from stock 4GB to 16GB of Crucial RAM, I actually found that my battery seemed to last a little longer (maybe ten-fifteen minutes or so) after the upgrade (maybe due to less paging? Who knows!)

3. robvas macrumors 68020

The theory is you are energizing more memory - so it will use a little more energy. But we're probably talking minutes.

4. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

First off, it has nothing to do with the Kingston RAM.

Secondly, when having more RAM, the computer needs to use more power to energize those.

Try calibrating your battery.

5. leman macrumors 604

I think it is more likely that you have accidentally shorted out something while changing the ram.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How much RAM or which brand you have has very little, if any, impact on battery life from a charge. There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.