Kingston SSDNow V+100 Installed Into 2011 13" i5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Critic, May 24, 2011.

1. The Critic, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

The Critic macrumors newbie

Just finished installing a Kingston SSDNow V+100 96GB into my 2011 13" i5.

I used the trim enabler patch, erased my free space and ran the suggested commands in terminal to improve boot time.

No stability or reliability issues to report at this time, but I have only had this running for the last hour. Speeds appear to be a noticeable improvement over the stock 5400rpm drive, especially for the boot time. However, the improvement isn't drastic-- just noticeably better. Also, it feels like the computer is less snappy with TRIM enabled.

I ran xbench to obtain results on the drive's performance. I have no idea as to whether these numbers are good. Let me know what you guys think. The w/o TRIM enabler numbers were obtained by doing a "restore to default" option on TRIM enabler and nothing else. Not sure if that's the correct way to "reverse" the hack.

Thanks!

xbench results w/TRIM:

xbench W/O Trim:

2. Captain Dynamo macrumors member

Thanks for your interesting post

Thanks, I've been thinking of doing something like this. I found your statement:

"Speeds appear to be a noticeable improvement over the stock 5400rpm drive, especially for the boot time. However, the improvement isn't drastic-- just noticeably better."

to be interesting. I've never used an SSD, but many other posters state that the improvement is extraordinary. Sounds like that wasn't the case for you.

I believe I'll stick with my Scorpio black 7200 rpm drive. Fast enough and of course bigger.

3. Dark Dragoon, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I have exactly the same SSD in my 17" 2010 MBP, along with the stock 500GB hard drive with my home folder on it.

I've not bothered with TRIM as the drive has very aggressive garbage collection, I've also not bothered changing any settings.

When you say the improvement isn't drastic, are you referring to general performance or boot time?
    For me the difference was quite noticeable in both respects over the stock 500GB 5400rpm drive. Especially when launching several apps.

Although not particularly useful for judging performance, my boot time is around 18 seconds to the login screen. 5 of which are from the time I press the power button till the startup chime. It takes another 2 seconds or so for the desktop to be fully loaded as well though. Was a bit faster when I only had the SSD and not the SSD+HDD.

As a comparison here are my scores for both my SSD and HDD.