Kingston USB 3 Media Card Reader & rMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ohms12, Oct 26, 2012.

1. ohms12 macrumors 6502

ohms12

So, I have a rMBP with USB 3. I have a Nikon SLR which uses Compact Flash cards. I bought the Kingston USB 3 Media Card Reader.

i plugged the CF card into the reader and it saw it, super. I then tried to access/view/transfer the files to the rMBP (jpg and RAW files). The mac informed me that the files could not be read and then force ejected the drive. It does this every time I connect the reader and a CF card.

I've tried reformatting the card, different ports, restarting the computer, updates, the whole lot. I get the same problem every time. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

On my rMBP I use a Lexar USB 3 dual slot to import files from Lexar CF cards into Lighttroom. I never ask the OS directly do anything with any file on the card. Once LR has imported the files, I view and edit them in LR. After downloading the card goes back into the camera for formatting. I never format a CF card in a computer.

3. ohms12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ohms12

Hmm. I'll try using Aperture or something for the import and see what comes up then. I'm not holding out much hope though....!

4. mawyatt macrumors member

I got a Trescend CF USB 3 reader and it didn't work with my MBPr, but worked fine with PC. I downloaded a new driver for reader and now it works with MBPr. You might see if Kingston has an updated driver.

5. ohms12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ohms12

How is the Trescent unit working now? Is it fast? I've sent an email to their tech support, i'll see what they say. There doesn't seem to be any updates for the device either.