Kingston USB Key is causing my MBP to require reboot???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MunnyGuy, Feb 1, 2009.

1. MunnyGuy macrumors member

Hey All.

I am fairly new to the Mac world and have come across a bizarre scenario. I tried using a Sandisk USB key on my MBP that worked fine on my Lenovo T60 and has worked in the past. When inserted in the MBP the screen had a grey "Sweep" from top of the screen down and the following WARNING appeared:
    [​IMG] Please excuse image quality it was taken with my iPhone.

This happened again when I tried a Kinston stick that I have used on my MBP several times in the past. Both sticks work fine in my Pc Laptop and my iMac.

On Friday i Installed: OUSBFamily-315.4.1.pkg and suspect this might be the culprit. Unfortunately I am so new to Apple that I am not sure if it might be something else or what to do if it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Was the warning the message:
    Please excuse image quality it was taken with my iPhone. ?
    Or did you just forget to attach the image?

As it sounds, your Mac kernel panicked, as some USB sticks do that to your computer.
    Maybe you should use another stick.

Also, what is OUSBFamily-315.4.1.pkg?

3. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

I have a Kingston 1GB stick and have never had any problem with it on any computer, including both of my Macs.

4. MunnyGuy thread starter macrumors member

I do not think it is the sticks. I suspect it is the pkg I downloaded from the ADC (Apple Developer Connection)... specifically IOUSBFamily-315.4.1.pkg.

5. MunnyGuy thread starter macrumors member

Sure enough it was. I had a mac savvy friend take a look and he fixed it. Thanks for looking.