kingston Vs Cruical

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by perfectshadows, Nov 7, 2010.

1. perfectshadows macrumors member

Hi all,

Having decided till OSX supports Trim I'm going to stay away from SSD's I have decided to get some ram but there is a decsion.

Which one is actually better
    the ram is for my Macbook pro i5 Mid2010

Cruical
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=DB93A1F4A5CA7304

or Kingston

http://www.solutions-inc.co.uk/inde...memory-kit-imac-macbook-a-macbook-pro-1066mhz

As far as I can tell its only price and warranty other than I can't see a performance difference I googled it to hell n back earlier still none the wiser does anyone know??

Glen

2. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

the US site doesn't ship to the UK

But just go with the cheapest one honestly, Crucial and Kingston are both good

4. gurm42 macrumors newbie

If the numbers are the same (CAS latency numbers) then the RAM is virtually identical. Kingston is decent nowadays. It is all down to build quality. Crucial has a reputation (which they deserve!) for being the BEST RAM.

5. perfectshadows thread starter macrumors member

I have always liked crucial ram had theres in my HP envy 16GB worth of it.

worked a charm

6. miata macrumors 6502

You do realize that the better SSD drives (with Sandforce) have their own "built-in TRIM." Why burden the OS?

7. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

I think you mean built in Garbage Collection. TRIM commands have to be supported at the OS, where as GC can take place at the firm ware level. Or at least that's the way it was explained to me over on the OCZ forum last year. I could be mistaken though, been a few months since that discussion took place. :)

8. miata macrumors 6502

Live and learn -- and always looking to learn more -- since I've been kinda fixated on SSD upgrades lately. So, if the Sandforce drives provide continuous good performance without degradation over time, why should anybody care about TRIM?

9. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

Wish I could tell you why everyone cares. At least in the OS X space, not sure it's as much of an issue. OS X file and free space fragmentation has always been much less than Windows. Not sure if that contributes. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself can chime in.

I was initially worried last Dec when I bought my drive and found that while the firmware supported TRIM, OS X did not. I kept reading and thinking that I would be reformatting every month or two to retain performance. They introduced a GC firmware update 1 week later, so I installed that. Maybe that is why I haven't suffered any slowdown?

I also have the supposedly god-awful Samsung controller, which is a whole separate topic.. While it isn't benchmark-whore level fast, it obviously holds it's own. :)

10. perfectshadows thread starter macrumors member

from what I have learnt about SSD's is that built in garbage collection is good but TRIM is better as it works with the OS and cleans up the drive to create more new Fresh blocks where is built in GC is good but more reliant on hardware knowing when the block is now garbage.

I will wait to see if things improve as I'd ideally go with an Intel SSD with OSX with trim support maybe lion might have it who knows, but rather than shell out a mint now when SSD's are getting cheaper and performance is patchy i'll wait it out till things are a little more sure of themselves so for now Ram upgrade is the best way forward, simple, cheap, highly effective.

:D

11. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

Not sure where you are reading that "performance is patchy", but an SSD (even the ones out now...even crappy ones that are out now) are the single best upgrade you can do to your Macbook Pro. I know you are looking at 8gb of ram vs 4gb, but you won't notice that difference. You will notice, feel, and be able to prove the benefits of even a cheap SSD.

That said, the price per GB is still not where it needs to be, but again it depends on your goal. :)

12. perfectshadows thread starter macrumors member

Whats the point in spending lots on an SSD just for it to slow down? Seems counter productive?

I wouldn't buy a car just for it to get slower each time I put petrol in?

I had an SSD in my windows 7 laptop but that had TRIM which makes sense.

RAM at the moment is more cost effective to me over an SSD Without TRIM.

But I do appreciate your point it is the single best upgrade, but only for a limited time till it fills up.

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

We are all creators of our own destiny, and obviously you are free to choose as you will.

Two Xbench results for my Kingston SSDNow V+: One is almost from six months ago, the other one I created just now. ...And then there's the comparison to my old 7200 RPM drive.

Attached Files:

14. perfectshadows thread starter macrumors member

Lol okay u win I want one but what about this lack of trim?

Does the cruical c300 have waste collection? Does the Kingston drive have waste collection?

What read write average is your drive?

15. perfectshadows thread starter macrumors member

Okay if there is no more advances on this then I shall buy the Crucial ram and not the kingston ram