kiosk/reservation software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by altaprod, May 2, 2007.

1. altaprod macrumors regular

altaprod

I'm interested in creating a simple reservation system like the one that you see at the Apple stores. Is it possible to create a system like with OSX or any 3rd-party software?

My needs are simple. Basically the same type of informational input that the Apple stores require.

Thanks for any help

Ken

2. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

shocked at the price . . .

of this "booking" system.

Since I didn't get any responsese I decided to search the internet and I haven't had much luck finding software.

I did come across the "BookingPOINT" software that I thought might work for my purposes but WOW. The price is STEEP. Are they for real?

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26077

I'm bummed no one has repsonded with other software options.

:(

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

hi sorry to see you have no reponces, dont think i can help much but a little while ago (since apple went intel) a company making hotel software bought out a mac version of its software that was cross compatable with its windows version but i can remember the name of the company or the software, it was documented on tuaw and macdailynews if i remember right, hope that may help.

4. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

i thought about hotel reservation system

Thanks speakerwizard.

I thought about hotel reservation systems and yeah that might be the closest thing out there.

The truth is my needs are simple. I want to set-up an iMac with a locked window. The viewer would see a simple calendar for the day with "one" hour blocks of time which they could click on to reserve. Once reserved that "one" hour block would read "booked," thus the next person to access the computer would then choose another time that they wanted to reserve.

It seems my needs are simple. I've thought maybe I could do this in iCal but I don't know about scripting or automator to piece something together.

I might have to start reading up on scripts and/or automator.

K-

5. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Can you define your software? like what is it ment to do?

It would be fairly simple to make a prompt that would simply take up the whole screen with a nice black background with logo at top and a few fields to enter details. Then the user would press the button to continue to save their booking and it puts it into a text file for you to read your self or such.

That kind of simple system could be developed reasonably quickly and efficiently, but i do not know what your specifically looking for.

6. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

Semaja2, i'm looking for

something similar to the Apple store system.

It's been awhile since I've been to a genius bar but if I remember correctly what you see is a simple screen. It asks your name and some simple information. And then you see a "daily" calendar with blocks of time that are available.

This is what I'd want. A simple interface which asks for the users name and time block which they booked. And once booked that block of time would read "blocked" or "unavailable."

Ideally, I could see the changes on a different computer.

I wish I could do it through iCal. So I'm searching the net now to see if any such thing exists.

Thanks for the question Semaja2

K-

7. altaprod thread starter macrumors regular

altaprod

hmm, maybe in Leopard

when i ran a search for "ical" and "booking" I came across this site: http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/E7BD7A26-7645-4CAE-B959-ADE7DE722129.html

The site states that with Leopard we'll see other features making it into iCal such as support for booking resources.

This might just fit the bill but :confused: it also goes on to talk about iCal server and Leopard server, something such, blah blah. I start to feel out of my element when I hear the word "server." It seems so grand.

k-

8. Darko Kontin macrumors newbie

This is an older topic but anyway I'd like to say something :)

I had the same problem with booking applications once I switched to Mac a year and a half ago. This type of application was the only type I could not switch with a good or better solution than the one I had on windows.

So I decided to develop my own solution. At first it was meant to be a Mac application but at the end I decided to make it an online solution.

It is tailored for mine, and needs of other people that have apartments, rooms and similar resources. So if you are still looking for some booking solution take a look at www.constructivecode.com to see if this one would be any good for your needs.

Regards
    Darko