Kiosk Solution Needed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Les Kern, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I need to make some kiosk stations at work for the public to use. The issue I am having is allowing printing. I have tried iCab, KioskBrowser, Saft and a few other obscure titles, and while some feature capabilities that are impressive, none of them seem to be able to print when in kiosk mode. Even java script buttons refuse to fire printing, much less Apple-P. I contacted Saft support but have not yet heard back.
    Has anyone set up a kiosk that can print, or does anyone have any ideas that could help me? Thanks.

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Why are you using a mac for this? Just use linux. Cheaper hardware, and there are MANY free kiosk solutions out there.

3. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

We're Mac-based, and frankly i despise Linux. :)
    That being said, I will take a look because I am indeed the type that says to use the right tool for the job.

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Oh no! Don't despise linux :D:D:D:D!

It uses so many open frameworks and libraries that OS X uses! Plus, they both have *nix roots! OS X and linux machines can play very nice together. I'm a total mac guy when it comes to my desktop, but for specific tasks, like servers, kiosks, etc. I'd definitely recommend linux. There are many kiosk apps like "kiosktool" and many thin client distros. Good luck with Linux and try to LOVE it! :D

5. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Checked a few things out, tried with my Ubuntu on Fusion.... decided to keep it beyond simple.
    Set up mac to boot right to browser to page with the items we want, set javascript print buttons on all docs, used parental controls so they can run only a few apps like preview, added Deep Freeze, set up the printer. Done.
    Thanks for your recommendations though. Appreciate it.