Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxshred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Be extremely careful about entrusting your data to iCloud, especially when moving a MobileMe account over. At least I have a system backup for all the lost Calendar items. It'll take forever to figure out how much data I lost in Contacts. The problem is this: iCloud's clients in iCal and IOS 5 NEVER warn you when recent data is about to be erased or changed by older data. Thankfully, I didn't use this poorly conceived and executed "product" with my documents. And MUSIC in the "cloud"? No, I don't think I'll endanger several thousand dollars' worth of music - including music from CDs I no longer have - to this so-called "system". I've been an Apple fan since the IIe. Now, not so much.

nicodaemos

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
I backed up my contacts before doing the migration. Everything went fine and am loving iCloud.

Sorry to hear it didn't work as well for you.

maxshred

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Clarifications

Thanks to all of you for the input - much appreciated. Just to clarify a couple of points:

1) I didn't erase my data from my local hard drive, and I have pre-cloud backups of everything on an external drive.

2) I sort of mixed multiple issues, so I'll back away from the one pertaining to the move from MobileMe. That's separate and would take a long time to explain, and I've found a partial workaround.

3) The 2 remaining issues are: iCloud, once enabled in iOS 5, will overwrite newer calendar data on the iPhone with older data without any warning messages at all. And in System Preferences, telling iCloud NOT to sync calendar data any more will result in a warning that I'll paraphrase as, "Yeah, you can do that, but if you do, your local data will be erased." Like, HUH?!?!?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I backed up my contacts before doing the migration. Everything went fine and am loving iCloud.

Sorry to hear it didn't work as well for you.

Yep Apple warned you to back up ical and Address book before migrating, sorry the OP lost he data, you can never trust these automatic migrations, even if they work 99.999999% of the time, there is always that chance...

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
My contacts were erased as well during the transition. Luckily I backed everything up in Address Book and iCal before I started the transition.

Not sure what exactly happened. Went through the move process, got the message that everything was done, went in to check to make sure everything was imported right and contacts were completely blank. No big deal since I had a backup, but it would definitely stink if you hadn't taken that precaution.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
My contacts were erased as well during the transition. Luckily I backed everything up in Address Book and iCal before I started the transition.

Not sure what exactly happened. Went through the move process, got the message that everything was done, went in to check to make sure everything was imported right and contacts were completely blank. No big deal since I had a backup, but it would definitely stink if you hadn't taken that precaution.
Part of the move was that it did not move your Contacts during the process (I did not read that part). What it said was that after the move it would upload your Contacts from one of your other devices (like your iPhone). It also said to make sure your contacts were complete on one of the other devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.