Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Brooklyn,NY
For all you Woodcrest fanboys hoping and prayring to have this cpu in your Mac Pro. Forget about it , Kentsfield is almost ready and is already sampling , the Coolaler over at XtremeSystems already has one and it's kick ass. CPU will be available Jan '07. Just in time for MWSF so i will say this is further evidence that there will be no Woody for MacPro ...servers only people.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103982

check out Cinebench on page 3.

shawmanus

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2006
Macpro with kentsfield would be significantly cheaper than woodcrest. It would be interesting to see if kentsfield performs better than dual woodcrest. Woodcrest has 1.33ghz dual fsb bandwidth advantage.

Topono

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
The Mac Pro is coming out before the end of the year, though. I'm thinking August or September.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
For some reason i don't think Apple will let the PowerMac/Mac Pro line sit there and die, as Mac Mini starts to be faster or as fast as it(or so some sources say" a G5 PowerMac with no upgrade until Jan 07 will make the PowerMac G5 look like crap.

Apple knows this and i bet will up WoodCrest in it, as the PowerMac line is not meant to be low cost, its meant to kick some computering ass

What Apple could be is make the Mac Pro/PowerMac line start at 2799, with WoodCrest, with all of them being Quad based, and at 1999 and 2399(or somewere between 1699 and 2799) have a low cost tower with Conroe, unless the iMac get it.

Rest easy, the PowerMac G5 replacement will be a Quad based Mac(and as Conroe can't give Apple that) WoodCrest will be in them

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
interesting situation:

apple can not leave the powermacs sit till next january.

apple can not release powermacs/mac pro's slower than a quad or a dual 2.7.

conroe can not be used in dual dualcore = quad configuration.

if apple uses woodcrest now than the can not switch to kentsfield unless it's faster than woodcrest.

woodcrest is quite expensive.

if apple uses conroe in a mac pro then they can't use conroe in the imac.

i wonder how they solve this one:confused:

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
"apple can not leave the powermacs sit till next january."
they will go intel ny then

"apple can not release powermacs/mac pro's slower than a quad or a dual 2.7"-true, but i think any of intel new high end stuff(Conroe, WoodCrest Kentsfield) are all faster(Conroe might need to be on the higher end to make it a big upgrade)

"conroe can not be used in dual dualcore = quad configuration. "
which is why i doubt they will use it

"if apple uses woodcrest now than the can not switch to kentsfield unless it's faster than woodcrest."
If they go WoodCrest they would replace it with the follow up chip to

WoodCrest most likly
"woodcrest is quite expensive."
If the up the price of PowerMacs to hight 2ks, and make a new low 2k price range Mac, with Conroe and then kentsfield

"if apple uses conroe in a mac pro then they can't use conroe in the imac."
I'd bet we see Merom in iMac line, and a nice new Mac line at low 2K prices

"i wonder how they solve this one:confused":Follow my advice!;)

Or i might be 100% and i'll look stupid in a few months
guess we'll see:)

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
jiggie2g said:
For all you Woodcrest fanboys hoping and prayring to have this cpu in your Mac Pro. Forget about it , Kentsfield is almost ready and is already sampling , the Coolaler over at XtremeSystems already has one and it's kick ass. CPU will be available Jan '07. Just in time for MWSF so i will say this is further evidence that there will be no Woody for MacPro ...servers only people.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103982

check out Cinebench on page 3.

Why Kentsfield when we could have Tigerton?

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
andiwm2003 said:
interesting situation:
apple can not leave the powermacs sit till next january.
apple can not release powermacs/mac pro's slower than a quad or a dual 2.7.

From now till Spring '07 at least, the PowerMac line will remain to appeal to those who still need PowerPC and decent speeds (users of legacy software and, of course, Adobe). The Mac Pro will not replace it in this time frame, but will begin to be phased in as the PowerMac is phased out. So I don't see why the Mac Pros all have to be the highest possible specs at the very beginning. Bu January they will have quad-core Conroes and Apple will still be selling PowerMacs even then, because of the legacy issue. So at no point will Apple not have at least one quad-core pro desktop, even if they don't go with Woodcrest.

if apple uses conroe in a mac pro then they can't use conroe in the imac.

Now wait a second, they put G5s in the iMacs, remember? Although it was over a year after the PowerMac G5 was intro'd. Hmmm...

regre7

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
Atlanta, GA
When I read the thread title I was afraid it was another thread about the heat from laptops reducing your sperm count. Which with the first MBPs....

Oh well, I wish I could worry about getting a Mac Pro.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
zap2 said:
"apple can not leave the powermacs sit till next january."
they will go intel ny then

"apple can not release powermacs/mac pro's slower than a quad or a dual 2.7"-true, but i think any of intel new high end stuff(Conroe, WoodCrest Kentsfield) are all faster(Conroe might need to be on the higher end to make it a big upgrade)

"conroe can not be used in dual dualcore = quad configuration. "
which is why i doubt they will use it

"if apple uses woodcrest now than the can not switch to kentsfield unless it's faster than woodcrest."
If they go WoodCrest they would replace it with the follow up chip to

WoodCrest most likly
"woodcrest is quite expensive."
If the up the price of PowerMacs to hight 2ks, and make a new low 2k price range Mac, with Conroe and then kentsfield

"if apple uses conroe in a mac pro then they can't use conroe in the imac."
I'd bet we see Merom in iMac line, and a nice new Mac line at low 2K prices

"i wonder how they solve this one:confused":Follow my advice!;)

Or i might be 100% and i'll look stupid in a few months
guess we'll see:)

i actually think you're right. the best would be to have an additional line of intel mac pro's in the 2k range. then the high end mac pro would be woodcrest quad and the low end would be conroe and slower than the G5 quad.

it's only that apple seems to consolidate their product lines. we have now less mac's than before. only three notebook formfactors, only two imacs, only two powermacs and the mini. (and of course some variations. i consider dual and quad different mac's but dual 2.0 and dual 2.3 the same. a bit arbitrary, i know)

this conroes mac pro would be an additional line. a single chip woodcrest would be a waste of money since conroe is almost as good for half the price.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I'd love Woodcrest, but I suspect I will be happy with whatever is next as long as Apple gets the bloody quality problems worked out.

If it's like the 15" PB or MacBooks in terms of quality, it won't matter what CPU is in it.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
once intel does quad cores on a single pcb apple will release an 8 core mac pro.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
I read a speed review on barefeats early this afternoon comparing Motion on a 2.16 Ghz macbook to a 2Ghz G5 (Dual Processor) The machines were about equal, with the macbook being a little ahead of G5 at times. Granted, this is a mobile chip compared to a workstation, but also note that said workstation is a few years old. Seems like, roughly, they are equal core-for-core

We are talking Steve Jobs here. I dont feel the Conroe is going to cut it, even if it is 20% faster. I think the lineup is going to be all quad. And the only way to provide that is Woodcrest, for the foreseeable future.

I am sure whatever they release, they want it to be G5 CRUSHING. Look at Apples advertising:
iMac 2x the speed of iMac G5
MacbookPro 4x the speed of Powerbook
Macbook 5x the speed of iBook

MacPro 20% faster than G5? That isnt going to cut it.

Hell, how sweet would it be if they released them next tuesday!

EDIT: To those who say its too expensive, I just went to Dell, and built a Precision Workstation 490 with

2 Dual-Core Xeon at 3.2 Ghz
128MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro NVS 285, Dual DVI or Dual VGA Capable
GB, DDR2 SDRAM FBD Memory, 533MHz, ECC (2 DIMMS)
250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s,7200 RPM NCQ Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst Cache™
16X DVD+/-RW w/ Cyberlink PowerDVD™ and Roxio Creator™ Dell Ed

for $2017

Granted, Apples stuff cost more than Dell, BUT, its not unreasonable to think we could not see quadcore Woodcrest machines.

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Brooklyn,NY
RichP said:
I read a speed review on barefeats early this afternoon comparing Motion on a 2.16 Ghz macbook to a 2Ghz G5 (Dual Processor) The machines were about equal, with the macbook being a little ahead of G5 at times. Granted, this is a mobile chip compared to a workstation, but also note that said workstation is a few years old. Seems like, roughly, they are equal core-for-core

We are talking Steve Jobs here. I dont feel the Conroe is going to cut it, even if it is 20% faster. I think the lineup is going to be all quad. And the only way to provide that is Woodcrest, for the foreseeable future.

I am sure whatever they release, they want it to be G5 CRUSHING. Look at Apples advertising:
iMac 2x the speed of iMac G5
MacbookPro 4x the speed of Powerbook
Macbook 5x the speed of iBook

MacPro 20% faster than G5? That isnt going to cut it.

Hell, how sweet would it be if they released them next tuesday!

EDIT: To those who say its too expensive, I just went to Dell, and built a Precision Workstation 490 with

2 Dual-Core Xeon at 3.2 Ghz
128MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro NVS 285, Dual DVI or Dual VGA Capable
GB, DDR2 SDRAM FBD Memory, 533MHz, ECC (2 DIMMS)
250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s,7200 RPM NCQ Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst Cache™
16X DVD+/-RW w/ Cyberlink PowerDVD™ and Roxio Creator™ Dell Ed

for $2017

Granted, Apples stuff cost more than Dell, BUT, its not unreasonable to think we could not see quadcore Woodcrest machines.

Yet another Macaholic who knows nothing about computers or Apple for that matter. That cute Dell you out together is running obselete technology , it's bargin bin parts that in less little over a month those Netbust CPU's will cost next to nothing.

Apple WILL not I repeat WILL NOT release 3 Quad machines unless u are willing to pay a starting price of $2399 and better. Remember this is brand new tech , it will cost you plenty.

I cannot believe u are quoting that BS Steve'O has been spiling about the Macbook , MBP , etc. being 2-4 faster then PPC Notebooks ..this is crap. Steve Jobs is one of the Tech Industrys Biggest Liars , Him and Bill Gates are just alike except Bill is the Better Liar.

BlizzardBomb said:
Why Kentsfield when we could have Tigerton?

Yeah why spend $2000 when u can spend $4000.:rolleyes:

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
jiggie2g said:
Yeah why spend $2000 when u can spend $4000.:rolleyes:

What? Tigerton is one of Woodcrests successors so it wouldn't cost double. That's like saying it costs $500 for a Conroe and $1000 for a Kentsfield.

jiggie2g

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2003
Brooklyn,NY
BlizzardBomb said:
What? Tigerton is one of Woodcrests successors so it wouldn't cost double. That's like saying it costs $500 for a Conroe and $1000 for a Kentsfield.

Realistically you can add an extra 50% to the cost of the chip by doubling the core , BTW Kentsfield is expected to debut as a Core 2 Extreme CPU in Jan 07 so $999 seems very likely , last time i checked the E6700 will sell for $530. so I am about right.

Point: Dual Tigerton would very likely cost $3500-$4000 , as i dual woodys are already starting at $3000. remember the mainboard alone cost around $600 , then the CPU's then a very powerful EPS.12v PSU , then proper cooling components , ECC-Ram. This will add up very quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.