Kitchen Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rivercottage, Sep 6, 2007.

1. rivercottage macrumors member

Hi!

I've seen a thread about a chap having great success mounting a g5 iMac in the kitchen, im thinking of doing something similar but am stuck with 2 choices

g5 imac, best functionality overall?..but not sure if front row can stream from other macs?

or appleTV & flat screen TV streaming photos, video and music etc.

Any ideas most welcome!

:)
    RiverCottage

2. jhkingsr macrumors regular

Kitchen Mac Mini setup

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

I bought a G4 Mini when they were introduced and later upgraded to an Intel Mini. So, I've had this G4 in the closet for a while and decided to put it to use. We bought a new house and it had the perfect spot. The bar in the kitchen would be ideal. I swivel mounted the monitor on the wall and ordered a Cinnamount to mount the Mini and power brick under the counter. The monitor fits against the wall when retracted. An Apple bluetooth keyboard, bluetooth Mighty Mouse, and an Airport Extreme (hooked up to the DSL modem) for wifi/internet completed the setup.

- 1.42GHz G4 with 80GB HDD and 1GB RAM.
    - Westinghouse 17" LCD
    - AE/BT
    - Apple BT Keyboard
    - Apple BT Mighty Mouse
    - JLab Audio USB Speakers (under counter)

3. HungrySeacow macrumors regular

I highly recommend YummySoup! in the kitchen ;). Though, being the developer I might be a bit biased :).

4. rivercottage thread starter macrumors member

Wow love your setup there! hadn't even thought of the mac mini hmmmmm

The good thing about the imac is good built in sound though, mini i'd need to mount some speakers somewhere...

mini & tv
    imac
    apple tv & tv

im thinking having a flatscreen TV in the kitchen maybe overkill when i dont even have a decent tv in the living room!

:)
    RiverCottage

5. dcv macrumors G3

6. jhkingsr macrumors regular

Speakers could be an issue for you. I have some usb speakers plugged into the back of the mini under the counter. The good thing about our house is it's a great room plan. You can see the 42" plasma (in the living area) from the other side of the kitchen bar so a sound system wasn't a priority. The kitchen mac is for solitaire, email, web surfing, and google to settle arguments without leaving the room.......

7. oneflow macrumors newbie

mac mini mounted

i set this up last night
    mac mini under the cabinet
    works great
    [​IMG]
    monitor can move around a good amount.
    wireless keyboard and mouse below

[​IMG]
    mac mini just to the left of the screen under the cabinet mounted upside down

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Very cool setup!! Typing seems to be a bit difficult but otherwise very cool indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Briefly thought about a kitchen Mac but as our kitchen is open to our family room and I previously setup up a Mini for use as an HTPC with our 50" plasma, didn't see the need. Some nice remote apps allow me to navigate/type with ease using my iPhone (and now my iPad ;)).