KitKat Prime Launcher Questions

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by MBX, Nov 23, 2013.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hey there

Anyone using/ familiar with KitKat launcher (Prime)? I use it on my Note 3 and love it. Especially the prettier icons and the landscape mode.

The only thing that I dislike is that it removed the "My Magazine" access via Home button and even in My Magazine settings when checked on it's no longer working.

Anyone familiar with this and know if it's possible to force the "My Magazine" back onto Home button with KitKat launcher?

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

If that app launched the Play Magazines app, Google has replaced that app with the Play Newsstand app. It's possible the launcher needs to be updated for the new app.

You may also consider contacting the developer.

3. Wankie macrumors newbie

The My Magazine thing is connected to the Touchwiz launcher and is not a separate add-on. It won't work in any other launcher at least on my S4 upgraded to Android 4.3.

4. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok thanks for info. Seems only with TW then.

Not a big issue as I can put the My Magazine icon on a desktop to access it.

5. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

The native gesture to open it (or button, not sure as I don't have a Note 3--was a swipe up on the Note 10.1) won't but you can assign a gesture in Nova Prime launcher to it. I did just that using Nova on my Note 10.1 when I had it.

6. topherg macrumors regular

Sorry to thread hijack! Was wondering if nova prime unread app counter works for all apps or only the stock ones? I'm on the note 3. Thanks for the help, just wondering if I should pay for prime or not.

7. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

Only app it doesn't work for is hangouts

8. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

I was experiencing serious battery drain after installing Google launcher and Search. I uninstalled and (back to Nova) it's all good so far.

9. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I kinda notice battery draining a bit faster and wondering if because of these launchers. Can anyone confirm these launchers using more battery?

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Pay for Nova Prime

Long press on app drawer icon

Choose edit

Select gesture and assign my magazine to it

Now you can swipe up from app drawer icon to launch my magazine.

Alternatively just assign two finger swipe up to launch.

----------

No. You must have something else running.

Only your battery stats will tell you what's eating your battery.

----------

Likely Google Now itself, not the launcher.

If you have google Now on with location history & reporting on you will get battery drain as it is always on.

Likewise OK Google will be draining as it's not really optimised currently for other handsets.

11. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh ok. I disabled location service on Google Now, seems helping. Need to see if really improvement once I used the phone more today.

12. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

So, are you guys saying these launchers have no effect on battery life really? Anyone know specifically with this Kit Kat launcher? Not sure, maybe I'm just paranoid

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Generally no, unless they are badly programmed.

I suggest you download Nova Launcher instead (it's number 1 for a reason). Pay for Nova Launcher Prime, and sign up for Nova Launcher Beta.

This will give you the awesome Nova launcher + KitKat theming and it definitely doesn't effect battery life.