KKBox - Music streaming app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by wowotoe, Feb 12, 2009.

1. wowotoe macrumors member

This app is in Taiwan's iTune AppStore. I know probably many of you aren't able to get it, but I would just like to show some of the cool features it has. If Napster or Rhapsody is doing this here in the U.S., then soon iTune will no longer be the #1 music store.

Basically KKBox is a music subscription service like Napster. Pay around $4/mo and you get to play tons of music (English, Chinese, Japanese, Korean...etc) as long as you subscribed to them. I like to use KKBox because Napster and Rhapsody are too focus on U.S. market. Not enough variety to see what other musics are out there.

However, MUSIC DOES HAVE BORDERS!! KKBox is only available to Taiwan region.

Now the cool things. KKBox just released the iPhone version last December. Unlike iTune, playlists can be stored on their server so iPhone can sync wirelessly. It has Search built-in so you can search the music database and stream it right away. Full album covers. Dynamic lyric that works like karaoke machine.

I included few screenshots for KKBox. Now if Napster comes out something similar, I don't think anyone will be buying music from iTune anymore. I think majority of people like to rent music just like renting DVD thru Blockbuster or Netflix. iPhone is a perfect gift to Napster from Apple :) There is probably a chance for Napster to regain the top spot again..ha

Attached Files:

2. clrodeski macrumors newbie

kkbox on iphone, itunes unable to open

Hello there!
    I also use KKBOX on my macbook, because I can listen to a wide variety of music, mainly Asian music, which is hard to find on iTunes. Anyway, I also recently got a an iphone, and was thrilled to find out that I can install KKBOX apps on the iphone, but I was not able to do so. When I tried to download the apps from KKBOX, my iTunes came up with an error message "the item you've requested is not currently available in the US store"

I'm wondering this is because KKBOX-iphone apps only runs in Taiwan?

Do you know? Thanks for replying.

3. speedracer3000 macrumors 6502

yup, long time KKBOX user here. KKBOX on the iphone rocks! On 3G the streaming quality is excellent and it automatically caches the songs you listened to for offline play later.

clrodeski, you need to change your iTunes region to Taiwan from the bottom of iTunes. You likely need to sign up for a new iTunes Taiwan account.

and yeah, KKBOX does not offer membership to anyone living outside of Taiwan.

4. hydralisk01 macrumors newbie

What is the bitrate that KKBOX streams? 128kbit/s or higher?