klinksys wireless b and wep key

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ebaymonster, Apr 25, 2009.

1. ebaymonster macrumors newbie

Hi I am trying to setup a firefighter's apple laptop into our linksys net at firestation. She got access fine when we did not have it secured but now we setup a wep key. All other members can get in by entering wep key when they choose the wireless router but when we input the wep key to apple laptop airport i think we get connection error..key is definitley right.what changed in the apple setup other than the wep key, again when signal was unsecure laptop safari worked fine help...The linksys is a B about 3 years old

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Try putting $ in front of the key. I had to do that with my iBook and our old linksys b-wifi router. I'm pretty sure it's before the key, but if it doesn't work try after the key. Let me know if it works.

I recall that was on the apple support page in 2003 when I got my iBook, LOL

3. ebaymonster thread starter macrumors newbie

Wep key and linksys

thanks a bunch for responding I will try that

4. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

BTW, why are you using WEP at all?

It provides almost as much security as a sign saying "please don't use our wireless network."

5. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

^ Truth. Try to see if you can use WPA, or better yet WPA2 (which I use.)

6. durhamj macrumors member

hey, did it work? I had the same problem a month ago with my new iMac. Ended up buying a new access point , went to 'g' and WPA.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That's assuming the random/average neighbor has the care/want/"skill" (skill being used lightly) to 'hack' the WEP key...

8. SelfMadeCelo macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

I think most older 802.11b routers don't support WPA. For some theres a firmware update that adds it but I haven't messed with b routers in a long time.

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

You'd be surprised what a bored kid with a laptop will do just to snoop on his neighbours.

Plus, given that pretty much every device supports WPA nowadays, there's *really* no reason to use WEP at all.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Just a few years ago, I was a bored kid, and I still didn't give a flying-f what they were doing :p

That being said, I still use WPA2 on my home network :D