Kmart is my new favorite store

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mysterytramp, Jul 6, 2009.

1. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

We needed a new power lawn mower, and the Kmart circular had the cheapest price a few weeks ago, on a Craftsman for about $139.

Second time I used it, I ran over a PVC sewer cleanout. Though I was certain the mower cleared it the week before, the blade snagged the PVC, bent the blade and the crankshaft. Two week old power mower was worthless.

Told my tale of woe to a buddy of mine, asking if he knew where to find a cheap replacement. He told me not to underestimate the Craftsman warranty. He had a story about a buddy of his who got some power tool replaced even though his buddy was clearly at fault.

Not expecting anything, I went back to Kmart and told my story. Manager said to bring it in and they'd replace it, for free. I reiterated that it was MY FAULT the crankshaft's bent, not the mower's. Not a problem.

Next day, I had a new mower.

Great warranty, great store. I'm spending like a fiend there now.

mt

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I love my Kmart. It's more than 50 miles round trip for me but it's worth it, I'm just careful to make a list ahead of time so I don't have to get mad about forgetting something and having to wait six weeks!

I've had cashiers point out defects in stuff when they were ringing it up, like a chipped corner on a CD or a ding in a metal file box, etc., and they get someone to get another one.

Plus I'm a sucker for the quality of some of the Martha Stewart kitchen items, and her washbaskets.

The store has nice wide aisles and an uncluttered look to it, and at least the one I shop in, the air seems like it's refreshed more often than in some stores, anyway it doesn't get that strange almost soporific staleness to it.

3. Reventon macrumors 6502

K-Mart's still around, eh? They're pretty much all gone here in Canada. (Or at least here in the GTA).

4. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

There used to be several K-Marts within 10 minutes of me. Now I can't even think of where the closest one is and its not like I'm in the middle of nowhere. Only 20 miles west of downtown Chicago.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What happened to bad shear pin/keys that were supposed to snap and prevent mangled shafts/blades?

6. mysterytramp thread starter macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

That's a good idea. I've never had a mower that had that arrangement. Wish I did.

mt