Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hi guys. I am 16 and I currently have tried using the disposable razors and currently have an electric shaver that I am not happy with.

The problem isn't the shave itself, although it certainly could be better, but the maintenance and the cost that builds up from buying the disposable razors or new blades.

I was just wondering if a knife shaving kit would be beneficial and if it's easy to learn and would give a close enough cut for me? Thank you!

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
So I have a really really tough beard and I use a razor (not disposable) and the thing is those blades last much longer than disposables. so have you tried them yet? I used an electric for a while and it wasn't the best either....

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I think those safety razor would be safer and easier to learn plus give just as good of a shave.

Keniff

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
A real razor will rip away at the skin if you're not careful, especially if it's even slightly blunt, so a good electric razor may be the way forward for you (Try a Philips Philishave).
Alot of men have sensitive skin, maybe get one with a trimmer, so you're not shaving right down to the bone (so to speak).

And always shave first thing in the morning, this is when your Pores are open.
Never shave in the evening, unless you put some very hot moist flannel around your face prior (this will open the Pores)

But the most important thing is after care (directly after you've shaven).
You could always use something as primitive as vaseline around the area's that you've shaven, this will fill the open Pores or any minor cuts.

Never put aftershave on your face after shaving as it contains alcohol, which will just burn the skin and dry it out.
Instead, find an Aftershave Balm (that works like a moisturiser), maybe something like this:

lg_arber_aftershave_balm_rpk.jpg

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Shaving with a flat razor (knife razor) is not for the faint of heart and not something that i would recommend for a person just starting out.

I have both a safety razor and a "normal" disposable head razor. The disposable head razor is mostly used when i need to shave very quickly and when i am going on vacation/away for a while.

I very much like my safety razor and it does a very good job, much better and closer shave then the disposable head one.

Start by reading here and then go from there. I suggest starting with a safety razor and once you are good and confident with that move to the knife razor if you need/want to. Get yourself a real badger hair brush, some real shaving cream and a nice razor and you should be good.

Youtube is great for stuff like this also, just do a search on there site for safety razor and you should come back with a lot of hits.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

For reference i ended up getting this

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
You could always stop shaving and get one of these. I have not had a razor touch my face in several years.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 292

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Let's just say I have a couple of friends with large, interesting facial scars to explain. If you are okay with that, more power to you. I'll pass.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
I'd like to start using a safety razor, as it must give a really good shave (right now I'm using a Braun electric shaver, and it kind of hurts my face), but I'm way too scared of cutting myself... I've never used a razor with blades.

I would never have the guts of using a knife... just the tought of my jugular veins open is enough to scare the crap out of me :eek:

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I'd like to start using a safety razor, as it must give a really good shave (right now I'm using a Braun electric shaver, and it kind of hurts my face), but I'm way too scared of cutting myself... I've never used a razor with blades.

I would never have the guts of using a knife... just the tought of my jugular veins open is enough to scare the crap out of me :eek:

You will more than likely knick yourself the first few times you shave. You will not feel it, i guaranty, and it will heal right back up no problem. Just take it slow, watch some Youtube videos, and you should be fine.

blinkie

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
If you want to go electric, which will lessen razor burn compared to a wet shave, try to find a two headed rotary shaver. Easy in Europe but difficult in the USA. I use a Philips HQ40 which is very cheap but works well if you take your time and don't let your beard grow too long. It's incredibly cheap to run if you use rechargeable batteries.

Edit

Which safety razor do you guys recommend between these three:
Just looking at them makes me wince.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
15 year old here (who'll be 16 in 8 days). I've been using a Braun 7 series for the past few months, and it gives me a close shave with 1 or 2 passes normally. If I take a few days off from shaving, I need a few more passes. I like the razor. The only thing is that it's not cheap, and the cleaning fluid isn't cheap. But the fact that I haven't experienced razor burn in 6 months is worth the cost:D

I'll never go back to a safety razor, and I prefer to not cut my carotid artery and have my parents discover me in the bathroom in a pool of blood so I'll be staying away from a straight razor.

-Don

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
If you want to go electric, which will lessen razor burn compared to a wet shave, try to find a two headed rotary shaver. Easy in Europe but difficult in the USA. I use a Philips HQ40 which is very cheap but works well if you take your time and don't let your beard grow too long. It's incredibly cheap to run if you use rechargeable batteries.

Edit

Just looking at them makes me wince.

I have always had the opposite problem. When I used to use an electric, I got razor burn all the time. I used a Norelco rotary, and it burned like crazy. I don't get it very often now that I use the Mach 3 or something similar.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I have always had the opposite problem. When I used to use an electric, I got razor burn all the time. I used a Norelco rotary, and it burned like crazy. I don't get it very often now that I use the Mach 3 or something similar.

The one time I got razor burn from my electric was when I pushed too hard. Could that have been your problem?

-Don

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
The one time I got razor burn from my electric was when I pushed too hard. Could that have been your problem?

-Don

It could be. When I had that Norelco, though, their "lift and cut" system felt more like the "pull and yank" system of cutting. Even with new blades, it felt like it was just pulling hairs out instead of cutting them. Plus, I have a fairly heavy beard, and it never felt close. My 5 o'clock shadow showed up at about 2. I think part of the problem was also that I was in college when I had it, and only shaved about every 3 days or so.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
TSE...... I had the same dilemma regarding shaving. I was getting a crappy shave with my razor and cheap Gillette shaving cream, and when I switched to the Phillips Norelco arcitec electric shaver (which is supposed to be one of the best electrics around), that was crappy too.

I did a lot of research, and it all comes down to this: if you want to have a good shave, you have to use quality shaving cream and a quality after-shave.

I decided to stick with the Mach 3 Turbo on the recommendation of a few professional shavers at shaving shops. A couple of places actually use the Mach 3 instead of a safety razor or a straight blade. I wanted to try out a safety razor, but I decided against it after researching.

Here's what I use:

• A badger hair brush to apply the shaving cream (I use a Vulfix No. 2234 Super Badger)
  • Taylor of Old Bond Street Shave Cream (I prefer sandalwood and lavender)
  • A Mach 3 Turbo (you could probably get 5-10 shaves out of each blade if you clean them properly)
  • Nivea Alcohol-free Post-Shave Balm (the most important part is that it's alcohol-free)

I bought my brush (and the razor/brush stand) and my shaving cream here: http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/

I highly recommend that site. The prices are great ($13.49 for a tub of shaving cream that will last you 6 months), and the service is excellent and personal (they always include a hand-written thank you note in my order).

Important points for a great shave:

• Use lots of hot water
  • Make sure you get a good lather going on your face with the brush (you only need to use a dime-sized amount of shave cream)
  • When you rinse your face, use cold water to close your pores. Then apply the after-shave. I usually take a shower after I shave, and when I'm finished showering, I rinse again with cold water.

As I said, I did tons of research before I settled on these products, and it's been working really well for me. I've been using this stuff for around two years now. It was almost right away that I noticed that lack of razor burn, and I haven't had any ingrown hairs in a couple of years.

Hopefully that was helpful......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.