Knock Knock Itunes does not live here anymore.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crtvmac, Oct 12, 2010.

1. crtvmac Guest

I just tried to log into my Itune application. I got a pop up message about some new license agreement with Apple and Itune. It had two options. Agree to the new terms or decline to the new terms. I decided to declined to the new terms associated with Itune. Then mysteriously, I was locked out of my Itunes application. Now, I consider myself a rather reasonable Individual. I don't mind being locked out from accessing a website, if it is justified. but, to be locked out of an application already installed on my home computer does not fit very well with my constitution. Does anyone besides me think it is wrong for Apple/Itune to be able to lock you out of an application already installed on your computer, besides me? In my opinion, this is akin to malware or a rootkit being installed on my home computer, so it can be controlled by others without my permission– others as in nefarious hackers. Don't get me wrong, I am not associating Apple with hackers. If I did, I would not have been a loyal customer of Apple since the introduction of the Mac Classic. But something this time seems amiss, and it is tendering on nefarious.... I mean, do you think it is alright for Apple/Itune to be able to control an application already installed on your own home computer? For the record, I don't. Anyone want to chime in with their opinion, feel free?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Every time I download a new version of iTunes, I get the license agreement. If I want to use the app, I have to agree to Apple's terms and conditions. Just say 'agree' and stop worrying about it.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It seems reasonable to me. If you don't agree to the terms, then they have every right to exclude you from using the application. Otherwise they wouldn't need an agreement to start with.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple offers the software, subject to you agreeing to the license terms. If you don't agree, they have no obligation to make the software available to you. They own the software, and can make whatever requirements they deem necessary before allowing you to acquire and use it.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

I guess the OP is worried that Apple locked him out of using the OLD itunes version after he declined to agree to the NEW terms. That would be indeed shoddy.

It maybe not important this time but a long time ago Apple reduced the number of computers you could authorize from 7 to 5. This was bad for many users and lowered the usability of your DRM'ed music.

So I agree with the OP. The old terms for the old itunes version should be upheld by Apple.

And even then Apple could practically force you to accept a new version of iTunes by simply not supporting the old version on new OS releases.

This dependency on Apple is one of the reasons why do not invest significant amounts of money in digital media. Long live the Disk.

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68020

Mr Kram

Terms and conditions are subject to change and you have to agree to that for every revision. This has nothing to do with the version of the software. This is about how you use the software regardless of version.

7. crtvmac thread starter Guest

It appears somebody did not understand the subject of my writing. The meaning of what I wrote: control as in turning off an application already installed on your own home computer without your consent. To clarify, I was referring to not having access to Itune servers, which would be access denial from their web site of course.

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68020

Mr Kram

Again, it's not necessarily the content you access, but it's the practical application of said content. If a law gets passed that says it is illegal to do certain things from within the application, Apple will immediately revise their terms of acceptance. By not agreeing, you are in essence, saying that you may possibly use the software for illegal purposes. Thus, Apple will then lock you out.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

We understood exactly what you meant. The point is, you can only use their software on your computer if you have their consent. Your refusal to agree to their license terms gives them the right to disable their software, whether it's on your computer or not.

10. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If you'd continued to use the older version, you'd be fine. However, you chose to update to a newer version so Apple has the right to make sure you agree to the new Terms of Use.

11. crtvmac thread starter Guest

Recon, sight unseen, I knew you would see it my way. You just got all joked-up....