Knock off Apple LED for under $400?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BigChrisUK, Aug 26, 2013.

1. BigChrisUK macrumors newbie

Been told about this monitor recently... apparently its an Apple LED display without the Apple price tag. Fair enough a few buttons don't work and the frame is cheap but if the quality of the screen is what they say it is its a ludicrously good deal. On the down side I've heard rumours that they come with an 80% chance of working and provide next to no warranty.

Anyone had any experience with this monitor or know of someone who has?

Also... whats the view of Monoprice, good/bad?

Cheers!

2. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I dont know anything about the monitor but the website is a good retailer and safe to order from. ive ordered tons of times from them with no issues.

3. TRAV9614, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  4. kant macrumors 6502

Do a search of the forums for monoprice. They are discussed numerous times in the various hardware threads.

5. Giuly, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You'll have to add $99 for the Dual-DVI adapter, and you'll arrive at $500.

For that price, you might as well get the ASUS PB278Q which has an DisplayPort already built-in, and someone to talk to in case it breaks.

Or, if you want to go ultra-cheap, there's a QNIX for $309 ("up to 5 white pixels are normal").

The problem is here being that Apple and Dell panels are A+, while the QNIX panel completely failed Quality Control. ASUS is probably A/A-.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

In my experience dealing with both Asus and Monoprice, Monoprice support is fantastic. They're an American company that has always gone above and beyond when I've had issues. Now, that it is say I've had some issues. Their products aren't defect-free, but they stand behind everything. Asus on the other hand was bit of a hassle to deal with, and quick to blame either myself or the reseller. It took a bit of convincing to get them to accept responsibility for their issues.

Also, the dual-link DVI adapter is $69: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=2

It's not really a knock-off. I think a knock-off would be something that looks like the TBD but actually has much worse components. This is the opposite, it's something that looks nothing like a TBD but uses the same exact panel inside. In a teardown of the monoprice display, one can see the gap where there would be a camera had the panel gone into a TBD.

As I said above, I think Monoprice is great. They specialize in finding a category which is often overpriced, and find a way to sell it a lower markup.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Do NOT buy a Dual-DVI only 27" IPS monitor to use on a Mac. They require a converter from Dual-DVI to MiniDP which is at least $69 and many have problems even with the converter to get them to work with their Macs. Even Apple's own branded Dual-DVi to MiniDP at 99 has poor reviews because of the sketchy support. Spend the extra cash and get one with Native DP or don't buy one at all....

Trust me, I'm trying to save you from a $400 mistake.

8. BigChrisUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice guys! Gotta say, that Asus does look good. Have you ever owned one? I can't find a clear indication of refresh rate... looks like 60hz? 5ms is not bad either.

Biggest problem I come across is banding in exports when using subtle gradients... the LG monitors Im currently running are freakin' awful. Be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with the Asus?

Ive got a mate who went the QNIX route... lasted him a few months then died on him... think I'll give them a miss.

----------

Thanks for the advice... think you just made my mind up for me :D

9. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

What you want for gradients is something that has a wider gamut, and the king of gamut is the Dell Ultrasharp U2713H - however, you're moving out of "knock-off" and into "ultra-professional" territory.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

True, except king of gamut part. I would take a Eizo CG or NEC Spectraview Reference over a Dell every time.

11. Giuly, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I feel that a discussion that started with the Monoprice 27" is not particularly worthy to contain Eizo (whose SX2762W/CG276 actually have a narrower gamut than the Dell) or NEC displays (except for maybe the 27" NEC Multisync, but that one's ancient technology compared to the U2713H).

King of gamut for >$800, however the NEC SpectraView (Refecrence) 271 is the King-Emperor of gamut. :)