Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wonslung

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Does anyone use them? The official cables are retardedly expensive. I got all of these from ebay for like 10 bucks. I always used cheap ebay cables with my 4s ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412030020.311374.jpg

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I use the MFI certified (whatever that means) cables from Monoprice. $13 for a 6' cable. They're a little stiff but work great, and come in different different colors.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I assure you will get what you pay for, I have seen so man cheap cables fail over the course of a few months.

I only buy certified cables, and typically find them for around $10 shipped

wonslung

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
I've used them for years with my 30 pin cables and they do sometimes fail but the cost ends up being less. The Apple cables have a bad habit of breaking on the propriety side. I bet my 12 knockoff cables last longer than a single apple cable. I can also have cables plugged into different rooms without having to carry them around. I'm sure some people here will end up mirroring my experience.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007

wonslung

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011

I got 12 cables for less than that one. That's why

----------

Guys. I get that you can buy certified cables for around 10-15 dollars. My point is that I can get 10-12 cables for the same price. Sure some will end up breaking but in the meantime I can have a cable in my car and a cable in my bedroom. One connected to my Mbp and even one downstairs in the living room. I can have 7 or 8 more in a drawer ready when one of those others fails. Doesn't anyone else do this?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Personally had cheap cables fail, not recognize device, etc. Not worth it in the long run.

wonslung

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
I've had them fail as well but it's almost always due to a frayed connector nearest the phone. The knock offs may last a few months or even a couple years but even if it only lasted a month I would still be ahead. The only real danger I can imagine is the transformers being shoddy. Because of that I may decide to toss those and only use known good transformers. I have several from years of iPods iPads and iPhones.

MiRod407

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Does anyone use them? The official cables are retardedly expensive. I got all of these from ebay for like 10 bucks. I always used cheap ebay cables with my 4s View attachment 498838

Is this your first time having a device with the lightning cable?

Apple has embedded a chip in the end of the cable that communicates with the phone, if the cable isn't verified to be authentic then it will be useless. Also, Apple can push iOS updates that will make knock-off cables fail.

wonslung

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Strange. It seems to work fine. It is my first lightning cable device though.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I bought 6 cheap knockoff cables and they worked fine until iOS 7 caused them all to stop working.
Then I bought some more that were not MFi certified but that did claim to have an authentication chip in them.
Those were all either DOA or died right after plugging them in to my phone.
If you have a seller you like and found a knockoff that works then congrats but it was the constant trial and error and money wasted on junk that finally convinced me to stick with MFi cables.

wonslung

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
They all work. Ios doesn't complain and they sync data. They look to be pretty high quality as well. The point of failure for me with all cables including legit apple cables is the point where the connector meets the cable nearest the phone itself. These cables seem fine to me.

----------

I actually bought cables from 2 venders. The first had a misleading listing that looked like 6 10 foot cables. When it arrived it was only one 4 foot cable. It was supposed to be a listing for a 6-10 ft cable. Later I found a listing for 10 cables. The first guy sent me 2 more cables when i complained. Iz found the second guys cables to be better but only slightly.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Dont mess with the chargers. I use Anker, and one other. But you get your moneys worth. With cables however, the 10 for $10 is a crap shoot. You may loose 50% of them in several months. The tips come off. But they work (sync and charge)

With the older cables, I never had a problem with them failing or falling apart, but the lightning cables are weak.

I am about to order another batch. I get the rainbow colors, so I know whats what. (Oh the blue one is bad today, I will set it aside.)

burntice

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
I had a cheap cable kill my 4s years ago. Fortunately Apple replaced the phone but every since then certified only. I spend too much on the phone to get tripped up by a few bucks. If I could only afford one certified cable I would drag it around in my pocket from station to station before using those cheap cables.

imo...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.