Knock-off Canon tripod collar for 70-200 2.8

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mfacey, Feb 22, 2010.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Hi all,

I just received a borrowed Canon 70-200 F/2.8L IS yesterday and realized that the owner forgot to add the tripod collar. Seeing as the collar is residing in the USA and I´m in Holland its quite a trip for the poor little collar to make by mail.

I figured I´d just buy one here, but those things retail at $150! Crazy for what it is. On ebay there's plenty of knock-offs going for as little at $9. The question is whether I want to rely on a $9 component to support a $2000 lens :confused:

Does anybody have any experience with a knock-off collar?

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I've seen Derrick Story talk about this third-party "tripod mount" that basically is just a ring clamp of sorts. He thought it worked pretty well, and I think it was less expensive.

If I can find the link I'll post it here.

Addendum: Canon Tripod Ring Mount - looks like the price isn't really any better, though...

3. R1CH4RD 21 macrumors newbie

I use one of these as I also begrudge paying that much for a tripod mount. I have never had any problems with it and it is perfectly stable and secure. Personally I cant see how the genuine one would differ so greatly.

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

For 9 bucks just buy the thing and see what it's like when it arrives.

5. josh1231 macrumors regular

I have the opteka I bought on ebay for the 70-200 F/2.8L lens, and it works perfectly. Can't figure out why anyone would spend $150 for Canons Collar.

It's not really a knock-off, just a different brand.

6. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816