Knock off power adapter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Slicksleek, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Slicksleek macrumors newbie

Anyone ever tried any of the other (non-Mac) options? I need a replacement and am suspicious that the off brands may not be as durable.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

For?

I bought a $40 magsafe adapter for my wife's MBA recently off ebay. Externally, it's hard to tell if it's a knock-off or if it's rejected Apple stock. I mean it looks exactly like the one that came with her computer, except that the plastic casing doesn't fit flush at one seam. Works fine. Hope it's a reject rather than a copy.

3. Slicksleek thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I thought I was in the Macbook Pro forum when I posted. I've found some that definitely look the same, but I figured they were all knock offs. Original lasted a long time, but got frayed where it meets the extension adapter. I may give it a crack and see it what happens. I just hate to drop $100 for a damn power cord.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or adapter, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries or adapters have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. To me, it's not worth risking your $2000 Mac to save a few dollars on a replacement battery or adapter, but the choice is yours.
    Battery Service and Recycling
    Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

5. Slicksleek thread starter macrumors newbie

You make a good point. Thanks for the links & info.

6. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

We've purchased some off brand MagSafe chargers at work before simply because they're much cheaper, about 1/5 the price. TBH I don't think the off brands are worth it. Cheap materials/build quality, they haven't lasted very long, and some even made some strange noises while plugged in and charging.. stick to official Apple chargers.

7. Slicksleek thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow--consider me convinced. Thanks for the input guys.

8. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I don't know... I usually buy the cheapest thing I can find (whether it's clothes, electronics, laser toner, whatever...), but when it's for a computer that costs 1500-2000+, this is the exception, I'll pay for the "real deal."

--rob

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

This

or spend a few dollars and buy this to fix your old one.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=sugru

10. amporas macrumors newbie

amporas

THIS IS A GAAAAAME CHANGER WOW for real though, this is great! People are saying "dropping a few dollars is ok" but I'm sorry, I'm not in the position to drop 75$ on a power cord. There's no way in heck that Apple uses that amount of time/substrate to justify the price aside from a needless markup. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I just really want to know how they justify setting that price point so high, aside from just knowing people need them.)

This plastic stuff looks great! Have you used it, and does it work well?

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They justify their price point

By using the best components and insulating them well, this means they won't burn your house down and $75 is a small price to pay for that.... The knock offs really are very badly and often dangerously made.

Yes the Sugru is very good insulates perfectly and for splits and fraying (and many other uses) is a fantastic product.

12. Florpy macrumors newbie

Florpy

Here…

Get a bulk packaged OEM adapter and save a little cash. It's an actual Apple product. Other World Computing

Don't work for 'em, just a satisfied customer. They carry the other sizes, too, by the way.

----------

Also, if you have a spare adapter on hand, and leave it in one place, you won't wind up your adapters so much and you'll incur much less damage to them.

13. amporas macrumors newbie

amporas

Idk if it's a small price to pay, but it is nice to know that it's safer than the alternatives. Still, it's at least a $40 markup. I could swing $30 or even $40 for a charger but $75 is just outrageous.

Thanks for the advice, though! I *almost* got one of the off brand chargers but as others have said, I just can't risk the possible home/computer damage from them.

14. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

All companies charge $60+ for their laptop chargers. Not sure how you get a $40 markup. Don't believe me? Here's Dell's adapter website:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...pplies&category_id=7682&redirect=1&redirect=2

I pulled up an old D380 which hasn't been made in years and they still want 69.99 for the charger.

Quality power supplies are expensive..... These aren't 5V USB chargers for gosh sakes!

15. amporas macrumors newbie

amporas

I'll admit I'm hardly knowledgable about what it takes to make an adapter, but check this out:http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html
    It explains why it may be a liiiittle bit more expensive but the profit margin is still pretty redonkulous. Either way, I gotta' buy what I gotta' buy. Also it's an old article so there's that. His post about a knockoff charger is pretty horrifying too!