Know long does it take to ship with Yosemite.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arian19, Nov 2, 2014.

1. arian19 macrumors 6502

I'm big on clean installs, I think it's been a habit since my windows days. But I'm in the market for a new MacBook Pro and I want to make sure it comes with Yosemite, how long should I wait before purchasing.

Also I know that you can upgrade for free, but when you do Internet recovery for the OS, it reverts to the firmware settings to the orginally loaded OS X.

I just bought a 3,200 MBPr maxed out and it came with Mavericks. I returned it and want to know how long I should wait.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You returned a machine because of that?

Update to Yosemite, then do a CMD+R restore back to a clean install of Yosemite. It'd take a couple hours, tops. Internet recovery reverts to original, but the recovery partition reinstalls the current version.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Well I wouldn't have done that personally. The Mavericks that was on that machine would have been a nice mature version and pretty issue-free. If you now wait until they start shipping with Yosemite installed you will, by definition, be getting a leading edge early release.....

I think I would have preferred a built-in rollback ability to Mavericks at this time (and the only serious issue I have had is with FV2, I have to blow away the Core Storage volumes and restore from Time Machine).

As to how long you will have to wait - I don't see how anyone but Apple can answer that but I guess they should be clear with the machine spec when you order which it will come with??

Oh and you could have done a clean install from the Mavericks machine by using Diskmaker and the Yosemite installer to make a bootable USB, then wipe your drive and install clean from there. Cmd-r internet recovery isn't the only way.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You are making an issue of nothing.

An upgrade to yosemite on a new machine is a clean install......

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

You could've done an internet recovery with Yosemite provided you'd "bought" it in the app store before.

I believe the keystroke is cmd-option-r rather than cmd-r.

You basically returned a perfectly good machine for a very fixable non-issue.

People on this forum never cease to amaze me.

6. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

An Internet restore ALWAYS returns a Mac to the OS X version it ships with. A cmd+r is always an Internet restore. A reboot holding R will recover to the current OS

However I agree that this has to be the most stupid reason to return a computer I've come across.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depending on how quickly the inventory moves, will dictate when you start seeing them. I wouldn't return a computer because of that though, its a free upgrade and you don't gain anything.

8. ABC5S, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

No it is not. Difference of having some left over code from Maverick and wiping the SSD/Hdd and installing Yosemite is a real clean install.

Just a simple article on updating/Clean install. Difference is it's "Very Clean"

"Most Mac users who are upgrading to OS X Yosemite should go through the standard process via the Mac App Store and start the installation from there, it’s by far the easiest approach and it generally goes flawlessly. Some users like to perform what is known as a clean installation of Mac OS X though, which is essentially wiping the Mac drive, and starting fresh with a brand new untouched install of OS X Yosemite, and then manually copying or accessing files and re-installing apps. While clean installing is not particularly difficult, it’s considered more advanced because it’s a much more hands-on and lengthy process than simply updating to OS X 10.10 through the App Store."