Know of a (jailbroken) app to manually disable touchscreen during calls?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by adam8281, Aug 3, 2010.

1. adam8281 macrumors newbie

I have a 3Gs running iOS 4.0, and the proximity sensor is broken. I have replaced the proximity sensor cable (cable #3 for those familiar with iPhone guts) but the proximity sensor still doesn't work. My best guess is that it's a motherboard issue (probably the clip for cable #3), which would be very difficult to fix (involving very precise soldering).

The "workaround" I'd like to do in light of my broken proximity sensor is find an app that will let me manually disable the touchscreen during a phone call. As it stands now, iOS ends a call if you hit the "lock screen" button during a call if you are using the earpiece (if you are using speakerphone or headphone/mic then "lock screen" won't end the call). I want an app that will let me turn off the screen/disable the touchscreen during a phone call when I am using the earpiece to make a call.

Anyone know of such a thing?

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Why not just turn off the screen with the sleep/wake button?

3. adam8281 thread starter macrumors newbie

Because as of (I believe) 3.1.3, the sleep/wake button now ENDS a call if you are using the normal earpiece (it doesn't end the call if you're using a headset/mic or speakerphone). I'm looking for a way to turn off the screen while I'm using the earpiece.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Huh. That was news to me, but you are definitely right.

5. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I think the easiest "fix" would be to just press the Home button to exit the Phone app then least you won't mess up the call by ending it or muting the other person.

6. adam8281 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that very well might be my best option. However I was hoping that someone might know of some obscure app out there that would add a "turn off screen" toggle to my dialer, or something like that (since even if I hit home screen, my cheek will still be loading apps and doing other random stuff). The other workaround I'm thinking of is making a keychain dongle consisting of a minijack plug. When making a call, I would stick the minijack in, hit the "sleep/wake" button (which would turn the screen off), and then pull out the minijack and talk normally on the earpiece.