Auto Knowing I'm in my car without CarPlay

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Mercifull, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Mercifull macrumors regular

Mercifull

They keynote speakers made a big deal about the intelligence of iOS9 to know when an iPhone user is in their vehicle but this is only seemingly possible with CarPlay.

Is there any sort of way, using iBeacons perhaps, to identify to iOS that you're sat in your car even if it's an older vehicle or incompatible with CarPlay?

2. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

Some members say their iPhone picks up on the bluetooth of the car.
    But that might only work with OEM bluetooth stereos, since it's not working with my Pioneer.

3. Mercifull thread starter macrumors regular

Mercifull

My car does not have bluetooth built in. I do have a bluetooth handsfree thing that clips to sunvisor so perhaps there is still a chance it might work with that.

4. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

There have also been reports with it working when plugging into a power cord.
    But not sure how the Phone would know it's being plugged in in a car...

5. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I have an aftermarket stereo in my car, and when my phone connects to it via Bluetooth, it shows me how long it should take to get to home or work, and also puts the Podcasts icon in the left corner, since that's usually what I open in the car. So I think it's the Bluetooth connection that triggers it.

6. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

Interesting! That hadn't shown up for me yet.

7. Mercifull thread starter macrumors regular

Mercifull

Mine tells me how long it would take me to get to work, or home without plugging it in to the cigarette lighter socket or bluetooth.

8. cpenner macrumors regular

Mine works upon Bluetooth connection in my car. Traffic alerts and having Siri remind you of something "when you get in your car" is pretty nice actually

9. Ryanclbryant macrumors member

Ryanclbryant

My phone knows when I get to my desk when it connects to my bluetooth headset and pops the Podcast app for me.

10. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

When my iPhone connects to the bluetooth kit in my car, it immediately shows Spotify just like any Handoff app.

11. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I think it's partially or even purely location-based.
    I get the drive time alerts and the music-related icons when I get in my car but I've also gotten other alerts that had nothing to do with any hardware connection.
    For instance I went to the same Chipotle twice in the same week and after watching a movie while waiting in line the first time, I had the Videos app appear on the lock screen when I went in the second time.

12. Mercifull thread starter macrumors regular

Mercifull

When I'm at home it often tells me how long it would take to drive to the supermarket also and I've never even used directions to there for a laugh!

13. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

When I wake up, my app switcher has Mail at the bottom and says "Good morning"

14. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Same experience although the siri reminders is a notification not an actual voice reminder.

15. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Mine picks it up as soon as my car Bluetooth connects to my phone every morning, when I leave work and when I leave the gym with traffic conditions to home or work depending on the time.

16. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Mine picks up the Bluetooth in my car - as soon as it connects, Maps will notify me of how long it will take to get to home, work, etc. It'll also suggest either music or an app I use to record gas fill-ups.

17. r-m macrumors 6502a

Aww, no fair. I don't get the maps notification that you and others are getting.

Only thing I've seen, is when I get in my car and bluetooth connects (hands-free only, doesn't work for music streaming), I'll see the music controls on my lockscreen along with album art and the music handoff icon.
    I don't usually listen to music off my phone in my car, because I have to connect a 3.5mm speaker cable to it. I've probably done that once in the last couple of months.

18. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

It depends on the "frequent locations" feature that's been there since iOS 7 or 8. If you have disabled it for privacy reasons, or tend to not have a regular schedule, you won't get them. CarPlay has done something similar, where it uses frequent locations and your calendar to pre-populate a destination in iOS 8. iOS 9 just brings it to you even if you don't use CarPlay.

19. Kent01 macrumors 6502

It looks at your location report and based upon the time of day/location it begins to see a pattern in where you leave your house/location.

It runs as a background task and is actually quite clever and is available even in iOS 8 but has much more of a presence in iOS 9.

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Every time I connect to bluetooth in my car, my car shows me my Road Trip app on the bottom of the screen because thats the first thing I do after getting gas.

21. techwarrior macrumors 6502

techwarrior

My Ford Touch occasionally gets confused and "answers" a bluetooth connection from iPhone 6+ when I plug in to power or USB. Cannot drop the bluetooth connection as long as iPhone is connected to power or USB. MFT does not support Car Play!

I find that rebooting iPhone resolves this for a while. Would be nice to have a toggle to disable car play for those of us unfortunate enough to have a system that does not support CP...

22. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It recognizes my 2012 Toyota Yaris's car radio for Proactive.

I've noticed it will learn the GPS coordinates of where I parked my car, as sometimes when I get back into my car it'll give me time it takes to get back home before I even turn the car on (though since coming to University it doesn't do that anymore :p).

23. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

Its magic. My gives me a traffic alert every day before I even start the car.

24. r-m macrumors 6502a

I have that switched on. I like the feature in Notification centre, I just don't use it enough..

I switched on "Improve Maps" yesterday, as I always switch that one off.
    I got in my car leaving work, and maps actually notified me of my journey home.. I don't know if Improve Maps was related or not.