Known display issue with 2.2 MBP's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happydudeca, Sep 29, 2009.

1. happydudeca macrumors member

My 2.2 (Summer 07) Macbook pro has been acting up lately with the laptop display working intermittently while hooked up to an external display. It has now officially quit working all together, even when detached from my display.

Quick call to Applecare later, it's apparently a known problem with this series of MBP's and I have an appointment to take it into the local Genuis bar on Friday.

Question, assuming this is indeed a known defect with these computers, what are people receiving in terms of repairs/replacement/upgrading?

2. timb macrumors regular

If you've still got AppleCare on it, they'll replace it. (Assuming you didn't spill something in the computer or whatever.)

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yes the GeForce 8600M GT gfx in those dies like flies.

I got a new logicboard.

If the guys at the Apple Store are nice they can order the parts before you deliver the computer, so you don't have to wait 7 days to get it fixed.
    I got mine fixed within hours

4. happydudeca thread starter macrumors member

The part that doesn't make sense to me is that it still works with an external display.

As long as it's fixable that's fine.

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I've seen several different ways ppl have noticed that the GPU is failing.
    Mine got kernel panic after awhile using external monitor, always fine without.
    I contacted apple, and they replaced it.

6. happydudeca thread starter macrumors member

For future reference in searches, it's the logic board and it will be covered for those with AND without applecare, this series (first batch of SR's, 2.2, 2.4) of MBP's only.

7. yahoodlums macrumors member

Hi, I have a MBP 2.2 SR, its 18 months old - don't know what batch its from {Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1}

Do you know if my one is affected?

8. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Read.

All 2.2 and 2.4 Santa Rosa's are affected. Apple extended the warranty out to 3 years on the GPU because of the issue.

9. yahoodlums macrumors member

So when Apple replaces the faulty GPU/Logic board, are they fitting a fault free one, or just another one with the same inherent fault?

10. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this myself as my Santa Rosa MBP has just got back from Bordeaux having had the same operation. I'd guess that the exchange mother boards are refurb boards with a new 8600M GT on them from after nVidia resolved the GPU packing issue, but it'd be nice to hear from someone in the know.

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

My first died after about 7 months.
    This one have lasted 21 months so far, no signs of problems yet.
    I like to hope there was made some improvements with the 8600M GT,
    but I'm not sure.

Seems like the later versions (Penryn) with 8600M had less problems than the first Santa Rosa.

12. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

Yeah well, that depends. Since Denmark hasn't got any Apple Stores/Rep. centers mine were sent to an authorized repair center after calling Apple Support who, after 40 minutes on the phone, came to the conclusion that my MBP was affected by a faulty 8600M GT.

But the repair center came to the conclusion that my MBP was not affected by a faulty GPU(at least that's what I understood by the rep. tech stating that it wasn't covered by Apples extended warranty) and couldn't really tell me anything more other that it needed a new logic-board, hard drive(which always worked fine) and upper/lower case(only the lower case had a dent).

So don't count on Apple or their certified partners to cover this by default even though it's the problem!!

Anyhow I'm pretty satisfied as I've good an insurance that covered the damages and gave me money for a new MBP since the repair would be more expensive than what I paid for the MBP back in 2007.

13. happydudeca thread starter macrumors member

Logic board replaced, works fine now but the fan is running full-tilt for some reason.

14. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Reset SMC?

How is the GPU/CPU temps?
    Could be that they did a poor job with thermal paste.

15. happydudeca thread starter macrumors member

Already reset PRAM and SMC, had no effect. What makes me a little concerned is that the fans are coming on full tilt immediately after start-up, before I'd eve logged in they were running at around 4500.

Today all was quiet, logged in and used Firefox for 20 minutes before they kicked in, are running at 4400k right now. No other programs running, activity monitor showing nothing unusual. Diode at 44, heatsink at 33.

20 minute phone call to Applecare later, it goes back to the Genius bar tomorrow.

16. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

44 seems normal, but strange the fan would kick in that early.

Mine usually doesn't kick in before it goes past 60ish

17. happydudeca thread starter macrumors member

Faulty heat sensor(s)... goes back to the shop in a few days when parts arrive.