Known file sharing problems between Lion and Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by darkcoupon, Jan 4, 2013.

1. darkcoupon macrumors regular

I have a 2009 Mac Pro that shipped with Lion, and an early 2008 Macbook Pro that I still have running on Snow Leopard. No matter how I try, I cannot get either one to connect to each other. Whether I'm trying to connect via wifi or bluetooth, nothing works. Every time I use Go>Connect to server, neither computer can be found on the other even though file sharing is turned on. About the only thing I haven't tried is hard wiring them together with an ethernet cable.

Occasionally I've been able to connect to the Mac Pro from the MBP via SSH, but only VERY occasionally. Maybe two or thee times has this ever worked, all other times it comes up with an error and will not connect. It's a very minor problem, but I do transfer files between the two on a daily basis and it would be much easier to use this method rather than pulling out an external drive every time.

2. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Works fine here and in many different combinations. Do you have access to a third machine to troubleshoot the situation? If so I would look to checking that first. Is there a router and/or firewall between these two?

3. darkcoupon thread starter macrumors regular

Ok well...weird little random fix...about 10 minutes after I posted this I booted up the Mac Pro and realized the inputs from my USB keyboard weren't being recognized. I rebooted it into safe mode, which ended up fixing the keyboard problem and thought I'd check one more time to see if I could connect to the MBP and it magically popped up under my shared devices. I can now connect each computer to the other without any problems.

But to answer your questions there is a router between the two, a Belkin F9K1002v1, but it has no closed ports or firewall other than a WPA password. Both computers are connected via WiFi. I don't have direct access to another Mac at the moment, but I can likely get someone to bring one over and test it out if it happens again. The only hardware aside from the router that I would think MIGHT cause the issue is the WiFi card in the Mac Pro. It's actually the OE model from the 2011 iMac and is not officially supported in the Mac Pro, but works perfectly fine otherwise so I doubt that's really the issue.

I might try a fresh install of Lion on the Mac Pro, it seems to be a little buggy recently so it probably couldn't hurt anything.

4. darkcoupon thread starter macrumors regular

Ok apparently the fix was only temporary. After connecting the two computers I left them both in sleep mode for a few hours and came back to find that I could no longer connect either one to the other. This is becoming very frustrating.