Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The original sourcing on the rumor is really weird. It was being covered by a ton of publications without anybody pointing back to anyone else. It wasn't just The Sun and the Daily Mail...Sky News, The Australian, and others all carried it independently. CNN and CBS also carried it based on the Daily Mail's report.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Why post the story in the first place before they researched it further.

Do you know how many publications reported on this? I don't know the number but like WC says, it extended far past the two that are allegedly liars.
I think this was a tough call frankly and while the article wasn't correct, the question is still raised whether he can leave his music to his kids or not. At least I believe that's still the question.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
The original sourcing on the rumor is really weird. It was being covered by a ton of publications without anybody pointing back to anyone else. It wasn't just The Sun and the Daily Mail...Sky News, The Australian, and others all carried it independently. CNN and CBS also carried it based on the Daily Mail's report.

Modern journalism, IMO. The 'speed' with which news propagates now is far, far faster so the media now have a choice between researching the story (and missing out if everyone else publishes) or rolling the dice and going with it. If everyone else does the same, they don't look foolish if the story is proved false.

IMO, it would be unprofessional of Macrumors to label other news sources as liars, or even particularly untrustworthy. Macrumors ran the story too, as did lots of other outlets. Did ANYONE check the story before running it?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Given today's latest debacle, would it be possible for Macrumors to start prefixing The Sun and the Daily Mail with something that reflects the fact they are some of the least trustworthy sources in existence?

I would suggest "according to well established liars and fantasists The Sun and the Daily Mail..."

This isn't a joke thread, I'm completely serious.

The fact that articles are attributed to "the sun" or "the daily mail" is notice enough that the article is of a dubious nature.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Personally, I don't believe anything I read on MR unless I see it in Digitimes too. :D

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Might as well throw Business Insider's name into the ring as well. At least most realize the Sun & The Daily's angles. Blodget is just a ad-craving (convixted) fraud posing as a legit writer.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
This is the funniest thread I've read in a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.