Known problem with OSX and Ext (seagate?) HD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by coday183, Dec 25, 2008.

1. coday183 macrumors newbie

I get the feeling that my macbook (2.2 ghz first santa rosa release) hates other hard drives. I've never really had a problem with them up until this past month. I used to have a 250 gig WD and it worked fine. Problem is I DJ with ableton live from my computer and all my music must be in 320 kbps mp2 or 24-32 bit wav format. About 2 months ago I bought a Freeagent Go 500gb portable hard drive. Then after about a month's use (I can't remember what version of leopard I was in or what other changes I made on my mac) it quit working.

Basically it wouldn't mount. It would always show up in system profiler, and most of the time I could see it in disk utility. I would ran the repair several times. The only time it would show up would be when I had it plugged in for more than 10 minutes, but a message would say...

"The disk "Coday" was not repairable by this computer. It is being made available to you with limited functionality. You must back up your data and reformat the disk as soon as possible"

So basically I waited for it to load, put my itunes library, copies of applications I had paid for to register, and other important items on it and reformatted my macbook's hd then re-installed leopard in case it was a firmware problem. After the install I waited 10 more minutes for the ext. hd to show up and copied all the files off of it, and then reformatted the hd.

None of this helped so finally I decided this was an issue with low bus power. But for some reason a particular USB cord (not the one that came with it) worked with it, and everything was fine.

But anyways, for christmas I got an external Freeagent go Xtreme 1.5th HD. Same problem, except this time I'm using the firewire port and the drive has an a/c power source. After googling, I've came across numerous people having the same problem with different brand hd's. So is there a known issue with OSX (I'm running 10.5.5) and external Hard Drives? I'm looking for solid answers. Most of what I can find is "well it might be this... or maybe you could try this?" So are there any concrete facts about this issue? And what about solutions? Thanks, and sorry about the long post.

2. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

I believe this drive model has sleep issues making it unsuitable for use with OS X. There is a long thread at the website forum detailing the problem and the company's lame efforts to remedy it.

3. priller macrumors regular

Not had any problems with my Freeagent, works fine with or without sleep disabled.

4. Ceebler macrumors newbie

Was this Seagate Freeagent Go a "for Mac" version, or was it a "PC" version that you re-formatted for the Mac?

5. coday183 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ummm I'm not sure if it was for mac or pc. I didn't know it really mattered? I mean it's the same hardware isn't it? So it should theoretically be fine as long as I formatted it for a mac when I got it. Plus it shows up and works fine too. It only quits showing up about half the time.

6. Ceebler macrumors newbie

The Mac version has an additional FireWire interface capacity. I suspect that the Windows version should be convertible (except for the FW) to Mac, but I am not sure on this and would also like to know the answer. :confused:

7. coday183 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Ceebler macrumors newbie