Kobo eBooks Subscription Service Adds AudioBook Catalog to its iOS App

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Canadian ebook giant Rakuten Kobo today added audiobooks to its iOS app catalog, rolling out the change in Canada, the U.S., the U.K., Australia, and New Zealand via an update.

Kobo customers can buy audiobooks on an individual basis, or through the company's $10 per month subscription service, which gets users one book each month. The same monthly subscription costs $13 in Canada, £6.99 in the U.K, $13 in Australia, and $14 in New Zealand.

Alternatively, it's possible to buy a three-pack credit and store up to 24 credits in a subscription account. A 30-day free trial is also on offer for users to see how the system works before they commit.

Once an audiobook is purchased, customers can make use of the app's built-in audiobook player, which includes options to change the narration speed, check the time remaining, and set a sleep timer.

The Kobo ebooks and audiobooks app is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Kobo eBooks Subscription Service Adds AudioBook Catalog to its iOS App

Szarky

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
I get them for free at my library :).
I just looked into this last night but the audiobook I wanted had a 30+ person wait (approx. 15 weeks!). That's really inconvenient. And I assume there's a time limit with the library rented audiobooks?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I just looked into this last night but the audiobook I wanted had a 30+ person wait (approx. 15 weeks!). That's really inconvenient. And I assume there's a time limit with the library rented audiobooks?
The wait times can be very long.

I usually queue up the maximum amount of content that I can and I add to the queue when I can. That way, it seems like you have no wait after the initial long delay. The only problem is when multiple items in your queue become available the same day:). It also doesn't work if you are receiving a series (you will get them out of order in most cases).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.