Kobo Glo rant - anyone else have this experience?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by nigelly, Feb 25, 2014.

1. nigelly macrumors regular

nigelly

So less than a year ago I bought a Kobo Glo and have been really enjoying it a lot. It has served me well and I have taken great care of it.

I was about to leave on a business trip a couple weeks ago so I went to charge it and realized that the screen was partially frozen.

I contacted Kobo customer service and they told me to email them a picture of it. They responded saying that the pattern in which the screen is frozen means that the device has been physically damaged and that its not covered under warranty.. however there is absolutely no damage to the screen or casing and I have kept it in a case since I bought it. It has spent most of its life on my desk. They refused to investigate it any further than looking at a picture I took of it.

I am extremely disappointed in their customer service and I don't really know what to do with it now. Has anyone else have this happen to them?

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I had no idea what a Kobo Glo was. So, it is similar to a Kindle e-reader. Is there a manual reset of some kind?

[​IMG]

3. nigelly thread starter macrumors regular

nigelly

Yea, I tried that already. I just think its ridiculous they are determining that it isn't covered under warranty by a picture that I sent them. I am definitely boycotting Kobo from now on

4. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

When it comes to e-readers, Kindle is the gold standard. I have heard the name Kobo before, but never actually seen a product from them.

5. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Accept your loses and just move on. You can fight, but it will take so much convincing, and it's not worth it when it's just going to happen again. Kobo are known for bad customer support and buggy hardware. They look great visually, but otherwise a lot of people find them a waste of time.

If you want another lit screen, look at the Nook GlowLight, or Amazon's two Paperwhites.

BTW, MobileRead is a good source for information and discussion on eBooks and eReaders, feel free to post in the Which one should I buy? section:

http://www.mobileread.com/

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Can you post a picture of the screen? It sounds like you broke the substrate which in the Kindle is glass, not sure about the Kobo.

If you are looking to get a new ereader, I highly recommend the Kindle Paperwhite. I love mine and Amazon has top notch customer service.

8. rhinosrcool, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

At present, I have a Kobo mini and it works well. However, Kobo's customer service pales compared to Amazon. Even so, I would try another customer service rep. Also, their book selection is way less than Amazon's. If you have prime, once a month, you can borrow a free book (lending library). By far, my favorite Ereader is my Kindle Paperwhite.

9. nigelly thread starter macrumors regular

nigelly

Here is a picture of the screen. The screen on the kobo is not glass, it is plastic I guess.

I still can't believe the lack of support, I will never buy another Kobo product. Thankfully I figured out how to strip my kobo books of their DRM so I can read them in iBooks. I think I am going to stick with Mac and iPhone for my ebook reading from now on.

Attached Files:

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Underneath that plastic is a thin layer of glass. Somehow you have broken that glass layer. No company is going to replace that kind of damage. However, Amazon does sometimes offer a discount on a new device.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219057

11. nigelly thread starter macrumors regular

nigelly

that must be a pretty delicate piece of glass. My Kobo was kept in a case that covered the screen.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I've heard of Amazon even giving free replacements. No questions asked for this kind of issue.