Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exus69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Following is the problem as given in the "Programming in C" book in Chapter 6, Pg.94

Write a program that takes an integer keyed in from the terminal and extracts and displays each digit of the integer in English. So, if the user types in 932, the program should display

nine three two

Remember to display “zero” if the user types in just a 0. (Note: This exercise is a hard one!)

I was able to reach the basic statements but couldnt go further when logic came into the picture.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <conio.h>

int main ()

{

int number ;

clrscr () ;

printf ("Enter number\n\n") ;

scanf ("%d", &number) ;

I strongly feel that if statements are gonna be used in this case

Plz help

Last edited:

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I think the key here is:
integer division - If you divide something by 10 that's an integer, you basically just "shift" your decimal number one position to the right.
the modulus operator, % - This operator gives you the "Remainder" of a division.

I would say this is a job for a loop, not an if. You aren't dealing with 3 digits, you're dealing with n digits. I might have a subroutine that returns the number of decimal digits. What's the maximum number of digits an integer can have? What's a way in a loop you could generate numbers that have that many digits?

Then it's a matter of knowing what to print. I would personally try to keep the list of strings somehow, and grab the right one.

However, it doesn't look like you've tried anything so far. Maybe you have but gave up and removed the code? Anyway, at this stage you're going to have to experiment sometimes, because the right answer might not always just "pop" into your head.

Try some more things, post what you try and why it doesn't work and we can help further. I tried to edit this down to not give too much away.

-Lee

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Or do it shorthand using FP math:

if ( number != 0 )
{
- convert the input int to a double
- get the base 10 log of the number (may require a conversion)
- the characteristic (integer portion) is the number of decimal digits - 1 (zero-based count)
- divide the number (the double) by 10 to the characteristic
}
do
{
- use the integer portion of the number to get the word
- strip the integer from the number
- multiply the number by 10
} while ( 0 != number )

There are all these nice FP libraries, might as well make use of them.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
So many ways to skin a cat. You could also do it easily using string/char functions. (Must be the old BASIC programmer in me talking).

Use sprintf to get a string from the int, then just loop though the characters in the string and output the corresponding string for each char.

Not having read the book myself I don't know what the reader is supposed to know at this point. I doubt either my string approach or Sydde's FP approach are what is intended.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.