kodak zi6 choppy video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mgoode1, Jan 6, 2009.

1. mgoode1 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I just got a new Kodak Zi6 camcorder and when I upload the videos to my computer it comes out real choppy. I tried the videos on another computer and they worked fine. Can someone please help me out??

I'm running a mac book pro 1.5 GHz power pc G4
    with 1.5 GB RAM.

thanks

2. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Isn't the Zi6 a so-called "high defintion" camcorder? Think you'll want something more grunty than a 1.5PPC for smooth playback.

More details on how you're playing the clips would be helpful: iMovie? iPhoto? VLC? etc.

3. mgoode1 thread starter macrumors newbie

kodak zi6 choppy video

I've tried VLC and Quicktime. What do you suggest for smooth playback.

4. jamin100 macrumors 6502

get a newer mac, your 1.5 G4 doesnt have enough power.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Do you have a Macbook Pro or a PowerBook G4?

MacBook Pro is Intel and Intel is what you need for HD...

6. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

Assuming he didn't have $2k just sitting in his piggy bank, :) would there be a way to upgrade what he currently has? Maybe like increasing the RAM or something? Or is it all about the processor at this point?

7. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

The MacBook Pros didn't ship with any PPC processors so you are looking at a PowerBook G4. On the 15-17 inch models, the RAM is upgradable to 2GB. You obviously have a 12 inch model because that's what comes with the 1.5GHz. The 15-17 inch models come with 1.67 GHz. Please check your RAM again because you can't put 1.5GB into a 12 inch model. And please correct me if I wrong about your model.

David

8. mgoode1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 15in screen can u please give me some details on upgrading??

9. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

If you have the 15" model that you have must be the last PowerBook model that had the Combo drive. Your model can hold 2GB of RAM and upgrading would help a little. However, you can't do much with 1.5GHz so you will still be slow and have "choppy" video. If you are looking to upgrade your Mac, the new MacBook Pros are very nice, especially the new 17".

David

10. jamin100 macrumors 6502

I have a refurb 2.1 c2d whitebook and it plays fine on that. I also have a Kodak Zi6 and i'm hoping that i'll be able to use imovie 09 to fix some image stabilization issues

11. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

What's a good reputable online store to buy RAM from? Also, if he wanted, would it be possible/worth it to upgrade from 1.5GHz to 2GHz or something? Maybe a year or so down the line, he'll need to upgrade his computer, but he's a starving student (as most of us were at some point) so a brand new computer is out of the question for him.

12. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I didn't see that he was a student, if I did I wouldn't advise a new computer. It would not be worth upgrading the processor compared to buying a new computer. It's quite a job to upgrade a processor and it's often very very hard to find one that will fit and is compatible with your Mac. Not to mention taking the laptop apart and rebuilding it.;)
    Crucial.com is a good place to buy RAM from. I have found them to be the cheapest but am always looking to save money so if anyone else has a secret supplier, that would be nice.

David

13. superspartan macrumors member

...also slow on 1.83 MacBook

I'm resurrecting this thread because I just purchased a Zi6 and the .mov files are stuttering on my 1.83 MacBook (original Core Duo 1, 2gb ram). Playback is fine on my 2ghz C2D iMac.

If I export my files from iMovie then playback is smooth as silk. Does the 1.83 really lack the horsepower to play 720p from the Zi6?