Kodak Zi6 for $69.99 should I buy it

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 007bond, Mar 4, 2010.

1. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

I hardly ever make videos but I am starting to make youtube videos soon so will this be a good tool if i'm on a budget? Its at OfficeMax btw

Any other pocket video cam suggestions? thanks

2. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

it's a good camera for the price. and a good tool to learn with. you should check the test videos on youtube to see the type of footage that comes out. but for the price thats really good.

edit: there is no stabilization so you get the shakes.

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

Mmm, well that’s a great price but – and I would say, this is a big but – the Zi8 which I’m guessing (I’m not the in the States) retails for about $180, is a much better buy.

In the UK, although the Zi6 can be had pretty cheaply – with today’s exchange rate about $95 – when I looked into it, decided that the Zi8 was a much better buy (today’s exchange rate, I got it for $180).

Many reviewers seemed to agree that the Zi8 fixed a lot of the shortcomings of the Zi6.

In terms of quality, the more critical reviewers said about the Zi6 – rather like most similar offerings – that one may as well stick with a mobile phone that can take video. Certainly, the Zi8 is much better in this respect and handles low light conditions better (although all of these small cams aren’t great in these conditions).

As bokdol says there’s no image stabilisation with the Zi6 – there is in the Zi8, but like similar cameras, this is a digital stabiliser, which means it’s better than nothing but not great. Don’t forget that a fair bit of editing software as stabiliser tools – and you’re always going to be best off using a triposd (the gorillapod is ACE).

As he also said, check out the various footage online – but I would have a look at http://chris.pirillo.com/kodak-zi8-review/ Mr Pirillo wasn’t that keen on the Zi6, but had a very different take on the Zi8.

The Zi8 has an input for external mic, which is very handy – this might not be the case for you, but do a web search for some examples to show what a difference this can make. I’m pretty sure that the Zi8 is the one offering that has this – and it’s made pro users interested in it.

I do think that’s a good price you found and it will be something fun to play around with, but if you think you’re going to do quite a bit of video, I feel that could be a false economy getting the Zi6. I’m not one who encourages spending more money to get something ‘better’ for the sake of getting something better, but do really think that that it’s work spending the extra money to get the Zi8 because all well as better quality, it will last you longer.

Briefly going to your questions about other pocket cam suggestions, I would have a look at the various footage online – however, I did a lot of research myself a couple of months ago and thought that the Zi8 came off as the market leader currently.

4. Diet Pepsi macrumors member

Stability might be a problem. A tripod could help.

I use a Flip Video camera, which costs $200.00 ish, new. Kodak also makes one. At Target, they have a 90 day return policy. (I think.) But, if you could find a flip camera on Craigs List or Ebay, then you would have a camera actually made for video.

Note, these flip cameras do not take still photos, but on my flip I am looking at sports shots frame by frame and there is no problem printing them out.