Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wallyu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
NYC
The CNET review of the Kodak Zi8 pocket camcorder says that the "bundled software is not Mac compatible but necessary for smooth playback of 1080p video". Does anyone use this camera and are there drawbacks with Mac OS? I have a late 2007 iMac running Lion and I'd like to know how easy (or difficult) it would be download/edit videos with the Zi8. I'm looking for a pocket camcorder for my wife and we like the EASY aspect of Mac products (we don't have time to fidget with software that may or may not work). With the Flip going out of business the Zi8 looks like a good replacement. Or can anyone recommend a pocket camcorder that fits into the EASY-to-use w/Mac category? We're just taking pictures/videos of the kids, on vacation, etc. Nothing professional. Thanks much!

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
The CNET review of the Kodak Zi8 pocket camcorder says that the "bundled software is not Mac compatible but necessary for smooth playback of 1080p video". Does anyone use this camera and are there drawbacks with Mac OS? I have a late 2007 iMac running Lion and I'd like to know how easy (or difficult) it would be download/edit videos with the Zi8. I'm looking for a pocket camcorder for my wife and we like the EASY aspect of Mac products (we don't have time to fidget with software that may or may not work). With the Flip going out of business the Zi8 looks like a good replacement. Or can anyone recommend a pocket camcorder that fits into the EASY-to-use w/Mac category? We're just taking pictures/videos of the kids, on vacation, etc. Nothing professional. Thanks much!

I have a Zi8 that I used in my video editing class last year. I converted the files to Apple Prores with MPEG streamclip and edited them on my Macbook Pro. It worked perfectly! By the way, I'm selling mine... so PM me if your interested. I bought a wide angle and macro lens, audio microphone, and rubberized protective case. It's hard to believe the resolution and quality that comes out of such a small pocket video camera. But anyway, you won't have any trouble as long as your willing to do simple conversions to your footage before editing it.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Not to thread jack but I was interested in the zx5. How many minutes can store per gigabyte on the card. Is the same sensor on the zx5?

wallyu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
NYC
Thanks, THX. Let me ask you, have you synced the Zi8 with iPhoto? Just trying to gauge, editing aside, if there are any hitches for a basic iPhoto sync to get pics/videos onto the iMac and Gallery. BTW, your Zi8 wouldn't happen to be Raspberry color, would it?

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Not to thread jack but I was interested in the zx5. How many minutes can store per gigabyte on the card. Is the same sensor on the zx5?

Going from memory, the Zi8 and Zx5 have slightly a different sensor and the latter has superior recording at 1080p. If shooting at 720p (the best overall setting for the Zi8), I don’t think there’s any difference.

Both models can take up a card up to 32GB – Kodak says that will give up 10 hours of footage (IIRC at 720p 30 FPS).

However:
In terms of how much you can record, one very important thing to consider is battery life. Although I believe the Zx5 has a better battery life (about 2.5 hours recording, compared to 1.5 hours, but your mileage may vary) than the Zi8, you can’t change the battery – you can with the Zi8 (and very easily too).

Thanks, THX. Let me ask you, have you synced the Zi8 with iPhoto? Just trying to gauge, editing aside, if there are any hitches for a basic iPhoto sync to get pics/videos onto the iMac and Gallery…
I believe the reason (or at least, a reason) why Kodak didn’t bundle Mac-compatible software, was that expected users to use iPhoto. When you plug the Zi8 in, iPhoto should automatically launch and you can sync the images/video (and then you can import videos in iMovie, IIRC). The Mac will also the camera as a drive, so you can drag and drop files onto the computer.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
The reason why the website says Zi8 footage needs their proprietary software to playback smoothly is because it shoots video in an H.264 format. The H.264 format is not an "editing" format it is more of a compression format so it will cause Final Cut Pro to be quirky when editing however the simple solution is to download free software called Mpeg Streamclip that allows you to convert the footage to the Apple Pro Res 422 Codec and then you won't have a single issue editing it in Final Cut Pro. If you use Final Cut Pro X, this problem has been solved and you can simply bring the footage right into the program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.