Kodi and Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2crazy, Jun 2, 2016.

1. 2crazy macrumors regular

2crazy

Hello,

I recently found a version of Kodi for the ATV4, which can be side loaded. Has anyone tried Kodi on the ATV4? I am mainly interested in Kodi, because it has a Amazon Prime Video App available. Is it possible to watch Amazon Prime Video using Kodi and the add-on for it?

Thanks!

2. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

FYI:
    Amazon Prime was buggy on Kodi when I last used it on my RP2. Not sure if it was fixed in recent updates or not.

3. Drzed macrumors member

I have not tried Kodi on ATV but be aware that recently Apple implemented a 7 day expiry (previously 90 days) on side loaded apps that you have signed with a free Developer account. Only paid (US$99/year) can side load for 1 year which makes it prohibitively expensive unless you are a developer.

My guess is Apple is trying to discourage people form side loading apps by making it effectively too troublesome to have to go through the process of side loading every 7 days.

4. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

Well I feel better about paying $50 for an Android box to run Kodi now. That's just ridiculous.

5. zarf2007 macrumors regular

thats why you use this site and get kodi, provenance, mame and other apps signed for $12 for 1 year (thats $12 for all apps, not per app)....you can even upload your own apps (i did this with kodi as the version they had was quite old).....problem solved..

https://tv.ipwnstore.me/home.html

6. Rigby macrumors 601

I wouldn't recommend it. What these guys are doing (selling access to a developer account) is a violation of Apple's developer agreement.

7. zarf2007 macrumors regular

I can't see how apple can do anything about it, these guys use a bunch of developer accounts to generate 1yr certificates for the app signing.

Even if apple closed those accounts they would just acquire more, the only person who would lose would be the customer and tbh most people wouldnt cry too much if their $12 only lasted 6 months, its the risk you take with these services and the likelyhood is you will get the full year for a fraction of a developer account annual cost...

If apple are going to impose childish rules, with apps expiring after 7 days then services like this will be used by people who genuinely want to improve an otherwise average product.

8. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

9. Rigby macrumors 601

They can obviously disable these developer accounts, but they can also blacklist your UDID so that you will never again be able to sideload anything, even with your own legitimate developer account.
    The 7 days are fine for the intended purpose (testing during development). If you want to sideload apps for other purposes, the Apple TV is not the right device for you.

10. zarf2007 macrumors regular

Sure but no Amazon prime or Netflix apps make this yet another device cluttering up my to cabinet, the quest is for one device to do all which is why I hope Amazon get their act together soon.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 4, 2016 ---
    In which case you eBay the Apple TV to the 99% of users who wouldn't bother to sideload the buy another, simple really.

Also I don't think it's yours or apples place to stipulate how I should use a product I have purchased.

11. 2010mini macrumors 68040

What rock have you been under?

Every manufacture has stipulations on how you use their product after you purchase it.