Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Does anyone know if kodi will be on the apple tv app store? If they were able to get on the new apple tv that would be awesome.

kaess

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
Does anyone know if kodi will be on the apple tv app store? If they were able to get on the new apple tv that would be awesome.

It will not be available on the App Store. However, with iOS 9 and tvOS, anyone can compile and load an app to their devices using Xcode. One no longer needs to be registered developer to do this. Several people have already successfully loaded Kodi on to their iPhones using this method, and since tvOS is built off of iOS, I do not think it will be too much additional work to do the same for tvOS. One main difference for tvOS would be a non-touch interface.

Here is an example of someone who loaded Kodi onto their iPhone 6S Plus running iOS 9.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/3pzqyd/compiled_and_sideloaded_kodi_xbmc_onto_my_iphone/

Reactions: Jazwire

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Is it difficult to move from Kodi to Plex?
I currently use OpenELEC but would be nice to view my media on IOS devices too. Is all my metadata and tags compatible with Plex? I presume I just setup a Plex Server and move all my media to it.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
If you jailbreak your iPhone you can install Kodi! I think IF!! and thats a big IF!!! they JAILBREAK the ATV then we will have a blast with it!!
Yeah, I have kodi on my iPhone and iPad via jailbreak but with airplay mirroring there is some lag and the video isn't super smooth. Maybe the new apple tv will have smoother airplay mirroring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.