koi pond really #1?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Xgamer1224, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Xgamer1224 macrumors regular

do you think that koi pond should really be the #1 paid app? if not, what do you think should be? if so, why?

2. ayasin macrumors 6502

It's not whether I think it should be or not, it is based on sales numbers not the value judgment of someone at Apple. Apparently enough people voted with 1 dollar to make it number 1 :).

3. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

I don't really think you can pose the question of what should be number 1....as far as i know, the list for Top Paid Apps is exactly that...the Paid Apps that sell the most. Do i believe it is #1? Of course, cause it wouldn't have that spot if it actually wasn't, Koi Pond is not one of those apps that used the "free for a while then charge for it so we can be in the top paid apps" ;)

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

wasn't there some issue that it became number 1 due to it being a free app initially? (free apps of course having more downloads than paid apps, and somehow the download count transfers over from free to paid)

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually I read that if ayasin said it was number one it would be ranked number one.:D

6. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

I believe Koi Pond has always been 99 cents, and has never been available for free. But yes, this trick has been used before by many apps, and i believe Apple did fix this actually...

7. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

It wouldn't matter because the sales is based on a time frame like hours or a day. So the total downloads doesn't matter for this.

It's number one because it is $.99 and because it is number one.
    Being in the top spots helps keep you in the top spots.

8. ayasin macrumors 6502

<cartman_voice>YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH</cartman_voice>

;)

9. mattjb macrumors member

It's #1 because it's an appealing app. Sure, it's not super fancy or a game or anything, but I've used it many times to impress people with the power of the iPhone. And it doesn't hurt that it's 99 cents.

10. =Shadow= macrumors member

Now it's no longer #1 since the "Om Nom Nom" game "cheated" its way up to the #1 spot on the Top 25 paid apps. (It was free, so lots of people downloaded it, but then they started charging money for it so it was moved to the top paid, and, as it seems, the number 1 position.) I really like the Koi Pond, especially the new 2.0 version. Very relaxing. Definitely worth the number 1 spot.

11. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Om nom nom is no longer up there.

12. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

I myself get a kick out of Koi Pond. I find it more fun than , say, Bubble Wrap.

13. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Yes it should be #1 as people like you post threads like these and then other people chime in that they think it is a good app so people like me rush to download it to find out what it is all about... Plus over the last couple of days I have been getting real use out of the app Ambiance and Koi Pond seems to be a similar type app but with interactivity.

14. jonnyb macrumors 65816

At 99 cents (or 59p in my case) it's cheap enough for everyone who's curious about it to buy it without even noticing. No wonder it's no 1

15. beate macrumors regular

I have both - used very differently. I have 80+ Apps (need help!) and Koi Pond is my most activated App. Whenever I have a minute (literally), I play and swish my finger around. Love the feedback as it's so real. Ambiance is when you want to drag the headphones out and relax a bit - or just jolt your brain with some "noise".

I did see something interesting last night - it was a review about the "Dare" - a Verizon phone, I believe - don't know the manufacturer. The screensaver/homepage background looked just like Koi Pond without the water and lilly pads.
    OK - so it just had fish that looked the same swimming around.
    Just wondered if developer had been working on this for a while on other platforms...

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. People vote with their money, or by clicking the download button.

17. tofupancake macrumors member

Crazy Disco has suddenly appeared at Number 1, with 1/5 average rating. Is this because they switched from Free to Paid and Apple has a bug? If nothing else, it shows that even really really poor free apps are downloaded more than the best paid apps.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Do you really think this is an intelligent question? Regardless of what any of us think, enough people liked it to make it number one on the App store. I also think it's ridiculous how many people watch American Idol, but again, my opinion isn't really relevant to its success.

19. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

20. ayasin macrumors 6502

This surprises you? When the barrier to getting it is the ability to click a button, it's not hard to see why it's downloaded a bunch.

21. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

I think it's a $1 tech demo. If you're spending $2000 on a phone and its service plan, you can afford to put in a tiny bit extra for a pretty application to show your friends and family.

22. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

I'll say this, thanks to this thread, I went and bought it, and i love it. I'll be telling everyone with an iPhone about it.

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If it sold the most apps in whatever period (I guess daily), then yes, it should be the top paid app. That's kind of the definition. That doesn't mean that it is the "best" app available, but it's a neat thing and only costs 99 cents.

Go look at the iTunes Store's top songs. When you see Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers in the Top 10, you should realize that they're talking sales, not quality. Ditto for every time Microsoft brags about their market share of operating systems.

24. Master Debater macrumors member

Are the top apps based on download counts or ratings? Many times I see some apps pop up to the top ten's and they have very low ratings.

IMO, the app store is a mess.

25. nfg315 macrumors regular

nfg315

i thought it would be dumb until i bought it, it's probably one of my most used apps