Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Oh my, how I love kolaches.

Dr. Evans (symphony director) had a poppy seed kolache today and broke me off a few pieces.
YUM.
Before I went veggie, I used to love sausage and cheese kolaches from Shipley's. (now the thought of sausage.. eww.:p)

So, how do y'all feel about kolaches?
Is a sweet kolache a stain on the face of kolache-kind, or are you OK with fruit filling?
Are they just breakfast foods or day-round deliciousness?

Discuss. I wish to know others' views on kolaches.

Man.. thinking about kolaches this much is really making me hungry. I wish I had some right now.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
My mom makes a similar type of thing - a runza, which is of German origin, I believe. Bread stuffed with meat/cheese/cabbage/etc.

Crap, now I'm hungry for one. Thanks, katie :mad:

:D

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
I was born in the Czech community of West, TX. The town is fairly well known for the many Kolache bakeries, and there is a place off the highway called Czech stop that is know for its Kolaches. I personally will eat mine any way, my personal favorite is the Spicy Sausage and Cheese, but I also love Creme Cheese kolaches and different fruit kolaches. They are more than just breakfast, they are good any time of the day, nice and warm.

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2005
katie ta achoo said:
Oh my, how I love kolaches.

Dr. Evans (symphony director) had a poppy seed kolache today and broke me off a few pieces.
YUM.
I LOVE poppy seed kolache! (major comfort food, and guilty pleasure)
My kolache top two favorites are poppy seed and Apricot :D
GOOD EATS!

I cant wait till I can get back to Chicago and pig out on all the great ethinic food there. I got so homesick (for the food) a few years ago, I bought The Ethinic Chicago Cookbook. :)

Out in CA, I'm getting really into Persian food and flavors.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Oh.. now I'm hungry.. 6:05PM.. Dinner will be soon. Everything is going to be OK.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Wow I didn't know they existed like this. I've always known kolaches as the special sweet bread we bake/eat at Christmas - it's part of the traditional Ukrainian christmas eve dinner. The one we make though has no fillings or anything, it's just like sweet bread. The shape is also different - kind of like a big circular loaf, and we make dough braids for decoration on top. I'm trying to find a picture of one, I'll post it when I do. It tastes awesome fresh, just with a bit of butter on it.....*drools*. It also makes great toast a few days later. While I love kolach, I think my favourite is still the poppy seed roll my grandmother makes - I could eat an entire one. mmmmm
View attachment 38819

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
neildmitchell said:
I love your grandmother, just for the fact that she makes poppy seed rolls.
Give her a big hug for me!

I'm sure she'd like that! ;)
But I must say the best thing is, is that she taught me how to make them, so I will be able to eat them forever! :) Though I have to admit that there's something about hers that make them taste that little bit better.

kolache

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
Dallas, TX
Hey, my own thread :)

maestro55, my grandmother grew up in West. She never made any kolaches, though. I hear that my great-grandmother and her sister both made excellent ones.

kolache.JPG

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
My family usually makes these around Christmas time. (The open-faced type in kolache's photo.) I've only ever had them with fruit filling, KT -- but you've given me a desire to experiment!

Out here in the western U.S., people usually refer to them as "thumbprint cookies". (What a stupid name. ;) )

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
szark said:
My family usually makes these around Christmas time. (The open-faced type in kolache's photo.) I've only ever had them with fruit filling, KT -- but you've given me a desire to experiment!

Out here in the western U.S., people usually refer to them as "thumbprint cookies". (What a stupid name. ;) )

ive only had cooke-esque ones with fruit filling as well. they're alright. not my favorite foods. but good nonetheless.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
So KT, you don't just "Think different", you also "Eat different", huh? :p

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
kolache said:
Hey, my own thread :)

maestro55, my grandmother grew up in West. She never made any kolaches, though. I hear that my great-grandmother and her sister both made excellent ones.

kolache.JPG

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about you (as I've never heard of Kolaches before :eek: )

I do eat stuffed breads though, usually Italian style.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
dietcokevanilla said:

DCV, I just noticed your sig...... you didn't get in a fight with eduk did you? you were so cute together ;)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
dietcokevanilla said:
when I went to kolache factory yesterday, I noticed that on the bag.

I pointed it out to my nephew (he's 3) and he could recognize the words enough that he told me "think different"

Yeah.. I've had him watch old advertising campaigns... He likes them!!

Man, I want another kolache. I guess I get to bake my own today.
(I don't feel like putting in my contacts or combing my hair. I'm not leaving the house.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.